36 Dodge truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay boys it's bondo time !! a little wipe wipe here a wipe wipe there ( you know how it goes ) I now know that I can't do body work for more than a few days at a time---this is no fun

HPIM0678.jpg

HPIM0677.jpg

HPIM0679.jpg

HPIM0680.jpg

HPIM0694.jpg

That is looking great, should be a realy cool truck when your done . Keep up the progress,waiting to see more.

Well it's been about a week since my last update so here we go . We have made a little more progress on the trans tunnel , we will most likely finish it up today and finish the floor pan over the weekend , I think it looks pretty good . I used 20 guage steel for the tunnel and built in in two pieces to get the contour correct , the new slip roll and sheet metal brake make life a lot easier . This took a little over 2 1/2 hours , the last tunnel took two days !

HPIM0726.jpg

HPIM0727.jpg

HPIM0729.jpg

paint yes , spot prime no . everyone likes cream colored boogers !

not to be critical but most 2K primers are as dangerous as the paints......
i would recommend a respirator for the primer if it has a catalyst/activator or "hardener" - just trying to look out fer a fellow rodder

the build is looking good, i really like the extended cowl area....:cool::cool:

Nice build! Dodges are taking over the site! [ddd

Quick question, how do you like the plasma cutter? I've been thinking of getting one off ebay because they're so cheap and have a large cut capacity. How tough is it to use since it doesn't have a pilot arc?

Good luck! :)

Nice build! Dodges are taking over the site! [ddd

Quick question, how do you like the plasma cutter? I've been thinking of getting one off ebay because they're so cheap and have a large cut capacity. How tough is it to use since it doesn't have a pilot arc?

Good luck! :)

The one I have was bought on ebay for around $330 it works great , just squeeze the trigger and it will blow a hole right through the metal and start to cut , the thickest metal I have cut was some 1/4" angle and it was nice and smooth almost no grinding

That was a great deal getting that unfinished truck.. Like you said it came with a lot of good parts. Nice job extending the cowl always nice to have some more leg room in a chopped cab!

I spot primed a quarter with epoxy primer last winter without a respirator and had a nose bleed every time I bent over for a week and a half afterwards! Man that sucked!

Well , I have a liitle more to report . I put in a solid 10 hours work on the floor and cab sunday . After doing the firewall extension I realized there is no bracing in the kick panel area , so that's where I started the day off.

HPIM0731.jpg

HPIM0733.jpg

I tried to keep the correct shape and dimensions on the new braces I fabbed .

HPIM0732.jpg

next , I started prepping the existing floor , grinding and smoothing as good as possible . The floor would flex and pop , it just seemed flemsy

HPIM0734.jpg

HPIM0735.jpg

Template time , 5 sheets of poster board put to good use . It looks so neat and clean !

HPIM0739.jpg

HPIM0740.jpg

HPIM0741.jpg

A fresh sheet of 18 guage sheet metal , ready to make a floor

HPIM0743.jpg

A plasma cutter is the only way to go !!

18 million rosett welds later we have a floor , it's amazing how fast new metal will rust when you wipe it down with laquer thinner . we had heavy rain while I was doing the floor and the humidity was unreal . The end result is a rusty foor after one day ! But it's solid and thats what counts

HPIM0744.jpg

HPIM0745.jpg

All in all things are going well on the build [cl

Wow , the camera really made the floor look rusty ! It's not that bad in person , but that's just from the humidity , It never got wet .

Latest posts

Back