Making lowering blocks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
I need to make a 2" block to put under my suicide perch to raise my front end, like wise I need to make 2 2" lowering blocks for the rear springs. I could put a 4" block in the front but I don't think that would be safe. Lowering the rear 4" isn't an option because it puts the oil pan to close to the pavement.

That's a lot of hot air for a simple question, would 3/16" tubing be ok (I have some) or should I use 1/4"? The ends will be boxed in.

As a side note would 1/16" hot rolled sheet steel be ok for the floor, I can get 36ga cold rolled but it is thinner and cost more $s.

Yes, I am back to piddling on the Dodge but nothing worth posting about.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited:
Bruno, I wouldn't hesitate at all using the 3/16'' wall tubing. Cap it and forget it. 1/8'' for a floor is really heavy. I used 14 ga. and it is plenty stout enough.

Keep beating on it.

I agree with POPS. (The tubing you have is fine.)

1/16'' ( roughly 16 ga.) is a little heavy, but it'll take a heavier beating and burn through a little less. (Good for "turn and burn" tack-welding... a technique I've never tried myself. :rolleyes: :D)

Yes, I am back to piddling on the Dodge but nothing worth posting about.

Thanks, Randy[/QUOTE]

[cl[cl[cl[P[P[P
Bruno, looking forward to seeing the progress.....

x3 - Boxed 3/16" steel tube will be fine for the blocks.

Agreed with Doc on the 1/16 - Little on the heavy side, but will be ok. Still be good to put some bead rolls in it or at least some X-brakes to keep it from oil canning. Nothing more annoying than a floor that pops under your feet...

Well I think the ride height is perfect. Raised the front spring pack 1 1/4" and raised the front of the engine 1/2". Have 4" clearance under the oil pan. Here is a pix, what do you think?

IMG_1235.jpg

If you can nail that down as your ride height that's going to be sweet.
I love the inline 8 cylinder. Looks kool as kool can get.
Get busy and get it on the road.

That's looking really good. Sits perfect [cl
With that lowering/raising block up front you might think twice about pulling wheelies.
Thanks, now i'll have to do something with my buick eight [S
It does look bada$$ :eek:

Latest posts

Back