rusty (but no leaks) gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
rusty (no leaks) gas tank

grrr
tried flushing with fuel but looks like i am going to have to pull the tank and do something.

am gonna use either muriatic or phosphoric acid for the rust.
i have seen sealers fail before and thats worse than rust.
i will get it clean clean clean then slosh alcohol around in it to remove all traces of water
then splash diesel to coat the innards
then i will just keep the tank topped off with fuel

I've done two with the RedKote, so far, no problems. I washed them out thoroughly with soapy water then washed it out with acetone. As soon as the acetone dried, I coated the inside with RedKote, let that dry a day, then recoated it again. The RedKote will capture any loose rust and suspend it in itself. That was the problem with my tractor tank, no holes, but full of surface rust. Now, all I get out of it is clean gas.

soak the inside with molasses..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vq5IUiYMhRM

ok heard about this process from a local rodder. very successful the only other thing I could say this local guy used a 7 parts molasses to 1 water, soaking his body panels for a couple weeks ..

dam fine result id say easy clean up and no nasty residue.. any future water issues use a cup of methylated spirits ..

over & out

Be careful with that muriatic acid, Billy. My Son cleaned some parts outside our shop with it then brought the container into the shop. The next day there was a layer of rust on everything in the shop, drill presses, tools, car parts, everything ! The fumes alone will cause anything it gets near to rust immediately. I walked into the shop and said "What the h*** happened in here !":eek::eek:

Don

Be careful with that muriatic acid, Billy. My Son cleaned some parts outside our shop with it then brought the container into the shop. The next day there was a layer of rust on everything in the shop, drill presses, tools, car parts, everything ! The fumes alone will cause anything it gets near to rust immediately. I walked into the shop and said "What the h*** happened in here !":eek::eek:

Don

that stuff will ruin any metal in the area

Latest posts

Back