Rebel 9+3 Need a little help.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronRat

I've got my harness installed. The engine circuit is wired, starts right up. Nice!

Ran the rear end wires. Connected the White & Orange brake switch wires to the new brake switch I also installed. Fired up the engine, no brake lights?

At this point I do not have turn sig. switch in the car. There is a turn sig. group white wire that is labeled "Brake Lights" that i believe goes to the turn sig switch? For right now my only concern is having brake lights. I'm going to swap out the steering column over winter and wiring up the turn sigs at that time.

So is that White Brake light wire in the turn sig group the problem? If so what is the fix?

I know I can call Rebel Wire on Monday. ;) If someone has an solution, I can get this off the punch list this weekend.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't know the color codes on the Rebel harness, but on the Speedway one I used, I used the third brake light wire to wire up my brake lights. If the harness is wired up for a GM style turn signal switch, that is why the brake lights won't work without it in place, the current has to go through the turn signal switch. Using the third brake light wire bypasses the TS switch. I had the same problem, I'm still using the stock column, I plan on a GM tilt column when I put on the new steering box.

O.K.

So, all need to do is use the 3rd brake light wire to run the brake lights (Temporary Basis).

I've got the steering column from the donor '71 grand prix in my '51 Bel Air now. Prior to me getting the '51, person/person unknown had violated the column. I plan to swap it out and use it's turn sig switch & ignition key. Until then I just brake lights for safety.

Thanks Bama

Last edited:
Hey I've got the same exact issue your having. Except I installed an aftermarket turn signal switch and hooked all the wires up. Blinkers and tail lights work, but no brake lights. If I find a solution I'll post it up.
Oh, I tried the 3rd brake light wire also but that didn't not work for me either.

Bob is usually avail anytime! Did u get this issue fixed?

BoB

Tripper got a chance to work this weekend, could not pass up the $$$. I'm got the next two days dedicated to the '51. I'll follow up soon.

1st I'll try the 3rd brake light option as Bama posted.

#2 would be run a wire from the Brake switch to the brake lights, as I know the Orange wire to the switch is hot. I used a multimeter to check it.

#3 will be a call to Bob ;)

Iron, easier & faster to just call Bob... I had a couple of issues & he knew exactly what I had done wrong & got me back on track! [cl

BoB

Tripper got a chance to work this weekend, could not pass up the $$$. I'm got the next two days dedicated to the '51. I'll follow up soon.

1st I'll try the 3rd brake light option as Bama posted.

#2 would be run a wire from the Brake switch to the brake lights, as I know the Orange wire to the switch is hot. I used a multimeter to check it.

#3 will be a call to Bob ;)

I used that same 9 + 3 wiring kit on my '48 dodge build and had the same problem. I just ran a wire from the brake switch to the brakes as you mentioned above. I don't know if that's the only way of doing it but it worked for me. Good luck.

I.R. Pops - Yes, that works. :D

It's Orange & White wires to the brake switch.

Orange to the Brake Switch. Don't connect the White. Then a wire straight to the brake lights worked just fine.

NOTE : Do be sure your brake light switch is the proper distance so the button completes the circuit.

I.R. Pops - Yes, that works. :D

It's Orange & White wires to the brake switch.

Orange to the Brake Switch. Don't connect the White. Then a wire straight to the brake lights worked just fine.

NOTE : Do be sure your brake light switch is the proper distance so the button completes the circuit.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
I'm going to use the same wiring kit for my '47, plain jane and simple.

The purpose of running brakes through the signal switch is so when you have your blinker on and hit the brakes the signal doesnt get canceled out by the brakes.

Latest posts

Back