What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been nursing a cold, only thing I really got done today was clean off one of the work benches, and some of the floor... ugh...

Tomorrow, taking parts from the hemi to the upholstery guy who I am bartering with to get some seat measurements, and pickup the seat bases for floor planning...

I travelled over a 1000 miles, three states, two swap meets, one car show, two auto museums, and two antique stores including the American pickers store in Nashville.

A steering wheel. lol the swap meets where a little disappointing. I'm gonna head up to the Chicago area soon to another swap, hopefully it's better.

I am retired, so every day is Saturday until about 6PM, then it is Friday night again. :)
The hot rod is at the upholstery shop getting a new interior, so it has been kind of lonely in the shop without the car. So to keep busy I have been building a new glove box door. I like to play around with stained glass, so decided to make a stained glass panel to replace the wood door. This panel is 5" x 13". It took me almost 3 days. I'm not very fast. I am thinking about putting a light in the glove box to shine through the glass. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 29
That's pretty neat looking! What did you use to seperate the pieces of glass?

It's the same process that Tiffany used to make the high dollar stained glass lamps. The edge of each piece of glass gets wrapped in 1/4" adhesive backed copper foil tape. Then you solder the pieces together. The real hard part is cutting those round pieces out. It took a lot more glass than ended up in the piece.:eek:

I know what you are saying there..... I work as an electrical engineer in a glass plant...... I know a thing or two about glass but never knew how they joined pieces in a stained glass window like that.

I spent 4 hours trying to get a Briggs and Stratton running to build a redneck battery charger with no luck. At first it had no spark, had to take fly wheel off to get to points, then broke the crank end off with my 1/4" drive impact. Welded it back together to discover carb problems. Cleaned carb and still no luck.

Im gonna just buy a cheap no name engine that's somewhat reliable compared to this old thing old.

Planning on using it to turn a alternator to charge a battery that will power my 5k watt inverter.

Worked, did house chores, hung out with my daughter and snuck into the garage to re-work my 1950 brake pedal

Bought a REALLY nice 28-29 model a cowl top/fuel tank. Guy spent a ton of time and money getting the tank boiled and doing bodywork but it got dropped so have to pull one dent. Other than that, went to a swap meet and cleaned the garage some.

Finished adding more various manufacturer parts to our coupe.

Now running Buick fined brake drums on the 40 Ford axle at the front of the 29 coupe :D

And finished installing the rehabbed Oldsmobile steering wheel on the F100 column :cool:

IMG_20130202_160108_zps4463d741.jpg

IMG_20130202_160130_zps44a93b4e.jpg

IMG_20130202_160257_zps752cf3ff.jpg

IMG_20130202_161235_zpsdda889a5.jpg

Good weekend, great weather.....took out my little gas tank ( 6 gal) and modified and installed a 15.5 keg tank. Weldee on a bung for the line out the bottom and a flange for the cap on top. Remounted my rear coilovers to get a smoother ride. This of course led to changing other things....remounting the brake T mount on the rear axle and shorting my "trunk". An old wodden box with a lid to store tools that is mounted between the frame rails in front of the rear axle.

nothing on the new car.....waiting for some $$$$ to come later this week

weld on.......[;)

Good weekend, great weather.....took out my little gas tank ( 6 gal) and modified and installed a 15.5 keg tank. Welded on a bung for the line out the bottom and a flange for the cap on top. Remounted my rear coilovers to get a smoother ride. This of course led to changing other things....remounting the brake T mount on the rear axle and shorting my "trunk". An old wodden box with a lid to store tools that is mounted between the frame rails in front of the rear axle.

nothing on the new car.....waiting for some $$$$ to come later this week

weld on.......[;)

I pulled up some carpet and tiled the floor in 2 bathrooms.

I never did Tile before and my little brother has so he helped the process along...

I did have to install new shut off valves which required some ratrod engineering :D

11309_596225390393660_1566759426_n.jpg

28995_596225887060277_965173182_n.jpg

I built this house back about 95 for a customer. The illegals drove me out of construction which is why I went trucking.
Government HOS regulation prohibiting me from being productive drove me out of the trucking business

I was told by a general contractor that at a certain point it no longer matters how crummy your work is if it's cheap enough.
And then on a big commercial job once where the illegals were working along side me for somewhere around 6 bucks an hour had the gall to say I made more than they do because of my ethnicity.
I blew my stack.
I held up a level and a tape measure and said I make more than you because I can use this
Then I picked up the print and yelled and I make more than you because I can read this
And because nobody has to follow me around fixing everything I do
Most of you bums are dropouts and illiterate in your own damn language and you gots the guts to come here to my home cut my throat working for nothing and cry about how much I make?

I was 27 when I built this house

215163_554168144599385_333230_n.jpg

Last edited:
Should have told them, yep, I do make more for my ethnicity. If you were here legally, and were a legal citizen of the USA, you would be paying taxes, and be governed under our laws. But since you are not a legal resident, and are here illegally, you don't get the benefits of our labor laws. Tough luck, either suck it up, become a resident and pay taxes, or go back home...

Oh yea, that is one fine house there Torch!

Nice work Torch. I was in the commercial construction business for 20+ years and fully understand the problem with illegals.

Nice work Torch. I was in the commercial construction business for 20+ years and fully understand the problem with illegals.

Thanks for the Kudos

I got no problems with Latinos I love em.
They share a lot of old world culture and morals with my elders.
I hate cheaters and cut throats... and racists

I'd feel the same way if Germans and Pollacks were doing it.
The guys at the union hall call it prostituting the trade.
In Nebraska we passed one law to deal with 1099 abuse requiring all contractors to be registered with the state as a bona fide business.

We also have another law requiring all contractors to show lawful residence or right to work to receive a tax ID# for their business

And Omaha has a rule requiring contractors to be licensed

So this means I will now have to get a contractors license before I can pull any permits in Omaha.

But the state requirement for being a bona fide business to operate as a 1099 contractor keyholes in with the state law passed to allow cities to impose a sales tax on services and require service providers to register with the state and have a sales tax id #.

In my case I'm incorporated and have a federal Tax ID # I use in all affairs but I will still have to get licensed to work outside of someone else's authority..

Latest posts

Back