Do starter relays go bad?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von-zipper

Had some kind of starter problem where the starter wouldn't work, wait a while and hit the key and it would. Pulled starter off and it checked out good so just wondering if the relay could be the problem.

Zipper

Could be getting heat soaked. My truck does the same thing. They make shield for them to eliminate this problem. My headers are right next to my high torque mini starter. Too lazy to fix though. Summit sells the shields.

All the time. Like Hollow65 said, heat is their worst enemy. I always use a Ford type solenoid on the fenderwell and the factory GM style on the starter. All the late model Fords went to this type system from the factory. The fender mounted unit insures that the solenoid on the starter gets full voltage, even if it's heat soaked.

Do they make a kit Bama? I'm getting ready for my annual tear down. Might aswell fix this crap.

I've seen a kit called a "hot start kit" for GM's, but you don't need a kit. Just buy a Ford starter relay for a 99 F150. It looks like the old style Ford solenoid, but the terminals are on the end instead of the sides. The hot cable from the battery goes to one of the large posts, then run from this same post the hot cable to the starter. Take the original trigger wire for the solenoid and cut it, put the end that goes to the starter on the other large post. The other part of the trigger wire that goes back to to your switch, put it on the small terminal, some are marked with an "S". Some relays will have an "I" terminal also, it is used to supply power to the coil during start cycle, used mainly when you are running points. It feeds a full 12 volts to the coil while starting, then cuts off when you let off the starter, letting the resistor wire power the points.

Doing it this way also allows you to put your fusebox feed on the fender or firewall instead of on the starter. Just put it where the battery hot cable mounts. Makes for easier troubleshooting if you are having problems getting fire to the fusebox and accessories.

Sorry to Jack the thread, but thanks for the reply brother. I'll get right on it tomorrow. Busy drinking now..

Latest posts

Back