air conditioning help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forbigpicture

Please stand by.......
Just wondering.... instead of shelling out 1400. for vintage air kit
has anyone used latter model GM or other pick and pull units?
I've noticed that most are behind the firewall which is what I'm
needing, haven't checked cost yet,just trying to gather parts
needed to get started on the next project.......also are these
wired through the computer? thanks for any advice......L8r[S

dont think it would be computer all that is needed is the Thermostat and the on and off High med. and low, switch you will have the high P. switch and Low p. switch in the lines I dont think it goes threw the computer. I know the resister is in the duck work of some .. and that controls the fan speed . Get the older models It shouldnt be as complex as far as the resister in the duck say like in the 70s maybe 80s ..[S Maybe a good A.C. man on here can tell you an easier way and year models, for the donor car

I'm assuming you are speaking of the ones

with the evap core in the dash heater box area in lieu of the box under the hood...the accumulator still is outside in the engine compartment but I suppose you could stash one under the dash....biggest obstacle I see is getting anything from the late model stuff to go under the dash without major surgery...then having to worry about the condensation dripping out and such....can it be done, yes but worth it probably not....JMHO...

thanks guy's for your input.............I've noticed like GM trucks /vans
dodge pu's evaporator and heater core /fan are all behind the firewall inside
the cab.
like i said haven't checked measurements or pricing just wondering
if any of you have used this or tried...........thanks again

also keep in mind that later model pickups have a lot

Of issues with the evap core in the heater box area of the dash....not sure why but seems that a ton of them end up leaking....my 96 GMC evap core is gone as is a 93 and a 95 chevy that I have....the grandson's 98 chev pickup is gone too...not saying that it's because its inside that it's going...just seems that finding a good one used will be difficult....

It's been searched for many many times to no real avail. There just isn't a feasible boneyard A/C install without making a hell of a mess out of your car with used parts that may or may not work after said mess is made. They are just too vehicle-centric to be adapted to other applications. Aftermarket units are expensive because it took a lot of engineering to get them to work - which they do. It's just a pay-to-play kinda deal for that luxury...

Just had a thought, ...

The '90 Suburban has an overhead rear AC unit in it. I wonder if that is a stand-alone piece like the rear heater, which seems to be an electric heating element with a fan? Might be wrong, but what if ... [S

The rear mount unit on the Sub is an Evap unit

The '90 Suburban has an overhead rear AC unit in it. I wonder if that is a stand-alone piece like the rear heater, which seems to be an electric heating element with a fan? Might be wrong, but what if ... [S

and blower in one.....doesn't have an accumulator...uses the one hanging under the hood....The a/c lines t-off ....might work for the under dash area but still have the accumulator to figure out....if you want to keep the under hood area clean....Just my 2 cents....

.....doesn't have an accumulator...uses the one hanging under the hood....The a/c lines t-off ....might work for the under dash area but still have the accumulator to figure out....if you want to keep the under hood area clean....Just my 2 cents....

I suppose one could "hide" it somewhere. Thanks for the info. :)

For some reason I seem to remember that some sleepers on tractor trailers had had their own a/c units. You may be able to scrounge an evaporator and controls from one of them. Oh I just remembered that I worked on an ambulance once and that had a seperate a/c unit in the rear of the vehicle.

kenny vans has seperate ones too , my 2000 dodge caravan has a seperate unit ... even full size vans has one in the rear .. It runs off the same compresser , just long hoses goes to the back to the evaporator

Why not use an early Mustang underdash unit and install it in the center of the dashboard. Find a condenser with a intergal dryer, mount the compressor low and run a few lines.

Latest posts

Back