Some sunrise pictures

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've heard the term "corduroy road" ZZ's pic looks like a "corduroy sky"

For those that might not know, corduroy road was a trick used at least down here in lowland areas where after some travel on the roads got so bad they were impassable, they cut small trees, laid them side by side across the area and made the road passable again. The loggers sometimes still use the trick but in later years not so much because of some of the machinery used now is huge and can make it out. There is a swamp next to me which holds 8 forestry vehicles from tractors, dozers, trucks, etc. They haven't been seen since they sunk!

That's crazy that they just disappear!!!

That's crazy that they just disappear!!!

I'll try to explain. The swampy area west of me includes lots of area that once was lake bottom. Most of our lakes are fairly shallow, bowl shaped bodies. Over years silt and sediments form muck/peat. Given enough time those items form layers on the bottom of lakes. Depending on rain fall, those lakes are sometimes viable water bodies, sometimes not. In times when they don't hold water, vegetation grows and thick vegetation gives the body another layer of silts and sediments when the water comes back and kills the vegetation again.
In that time when most of those vehicles got lost, we were in a several year drought. We had wildfires everywhere. Forestry and fire departments, and even some Navy was involved in fighting the fires. The swampy area at that time looked much like any other lowland fields. Problem with fire and muck bottomed lakes is that when a fire burns down to the lakes edge and there is no water, there is still plenty of brush to keep the fire going out over the lake beds. Sometimes that allows the fire to access muck beds. When the muck burns, it burns underground. You could look at what looks like an open field of brush and think it's ok to access. That muck fire can travel underground without much indication for great distances, popping up in other areas and start new ground fires. Sometimes the only indication that is happening is seeing smoke just drifting out of the ground in odd places and you don't see flames. In situations like that is where they lose vehicles. A tractor might be coming thru trying to fight the fire and tried to cut out across that area and just hits a muck fire. It's like diving off a short cliff. Tractor down in a burning hole, more muck underneath. Tries were made to retrieve them only to lose more vehicles. A friend of mine years ago almost lost his life in that fire. Burned over much of his body. His vehicle failed in the big fire. He was caught on foot when the big flame over hit. He dove in a ditch, thru his reflector blanket over himself and placed his aluminum fire helmet over his head. He lived for many years after that but has since passed. He told me another friend one night about that fire. He said the flames were so hot it melted his helmet to his head. I don't remember what percentage of his body was burnt. Just say most of him. I have much respect for fire around here.

While I like sundown and sunrise pix, there ain't nothing wrong with having trees. I just bought the 12 acres next door just to keep some woods around here.

I love the trees. I have to go cruizin`to get me some nice sunrise shots :D
My big old trees are in trouble. There are lots of 100-200 yr beech dying now.
No water makes them drop the leaves and in mid summer they will get sunburned and die. :(
We have lots old old oaks too. Their roots go a lot deeper but they are in poor condition too after a bunch of dry years.

smashing colored skies always make me smile. :)

Attachments

• IMGP9525 (2).jpg
    IMGP9525 (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
Very interesting, smalls. Another Florida hazard. We are suffering tree stress here too, Dutch. Beautiful picture though.

I love the trees. I have to go cruizin`to get me some nice sunrise shots :D
My big old trees are in trouble. There are lots of 100-200 yr beech dying now.
No water makes them drop the leaves and in mid summer they will get sunburned and die. :(
We have lots old old oaks too. Their roots go a lot deeper but they are in poor condition too after a bunch of dry years.

smashing colored skies always make me smile. :)

^ Yup, man just can't paint like that...

Sunset through an almost 100 year old windshield!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_200756875.jpg
    IMG_20220822_200756875.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
I planted 1,200 trees and bushes on my 2 1/2 acres 30 years ago so I don't see sunrises or sunsets. I did venture into the street, setting the trash out tonight, and noticed the sunset after party was pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
1200 trees... [cl The planet would be in much better health if half the people would do that....

When I see the sky color like that ,I get an itch to go check it out closer.... :rolleyes:

here`s last night from my house.

Attachments

• IMGP9890.jpg
    IMGP9890.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back