Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to believe it's been 2 years since I have had dinner with these 3 Beauties.
It's been a good day.:D
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 39
After a late breakfast of fresh ground coffee and scratch made cinnamon rolls the ladies headed out for the day and I headed into the shop to lay out my chop.
Right now it is set up for 3"'s at the A pillar and the rear dropped until it looks right. I have been bouncing around between 3 and 4. I don't want the side windows the be like slits and I can always take off more if I need too.
At some point the top of the B pillar will be cut away as it will need to be moved back to line up with the bottom.
I am leaving in the rear glass for now, so I covered it with green painters tape then a layer of duct tape for protection. I will be cutting around the outside edge of the green tape outline and then will lean the rear window forward.
One of the issues with these tops is the amount of crown they have. If you look at the pic of the B pillar you can see how high the roof is above the rain gutter.
This may require me to pancake the roof.
If anyone has photoshop feel free to have a whack at it. :)
More later.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4532.jpg
    IMG_4532.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4533.jpg
    IMG_4533.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4535.jpg
    IMG_4535.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 32
this help?
there was an Australian mag a while back that had an article on an early 50s Dodge.. was a fordor made into a tudor, then hammered, ive been trying to find pics on it,
anyway the article read the builder used a 2nd roof from a donor car which not only pancaked the lid, but also reduced the weld areas to about 1 1/2. that stuck with me as at the time I had a 52 Plymouth with Desoto grill ~ rebadged export model.. on ill get round to pics on here.. that I was customizing

ill keep looking and post any thing further..

meantime if you have left overs on them cinnamon rolls ,, I'll send my address :)

Attachments

• Plymouth-1951-negro-luxe.jpg
    Plymouth-1951-negro-luxe.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 24
When the Dodge Magnum wagons came out in "05, I think, I immediately noticed similarities with the proportions to this series of Mopars. Lots of side steel, shallow window opening. Not so much crown though.

If you pancake, maybe do it progressively from front to back. ??? Seems like the back needs it more than the front.

this help?
there was an Australian mag a while back that had an article on an early 50s Dodge.. was a fordor made into a tudor, then hammered, ive been trying to find pics on it,
anyway the article read the builder used a 2nd roof from a donor car which not only pancaked the lid, but also reduced the weld areas to about 1 1/2. that stuck with me as at the time I had a 52 Plymouth with Desoto grill ~ rebadged export model.. on ill get round to pics on here.. that I was customizing

ill keep looking and post any thing further..

meantime if you have left overs on them cinnamon rolls ,, I'll send my address :)

Thanks crate. Good looking Plymouth. And no left over on the cinnamon rolls I'm sorry to say...:eek:

When the Dodge Magnum wagons came out in "05, I think, I immediately noticed similarities with the proportions to this series of Mopars. Lots of side steel, shallow window opening. Not so much crown though.

If you pancake, maybe do it progressively from front to back. ??? Seems like the back needs it more than the front.

I know what you mean about the wagons Skip. If I pancake this it would be a cut that went down one side and (as you say) would get progressively wider towards the back, over the rear widow area and back up the other side. Sort of like a Clam shell. If that makes any sense.......
I would prefer NOT to do that, but, we will see how things look once i start to lower it.
Torchie

Todays progress.

The weather cleared after last nights much needed rain so the ladies are out on the boat which means that I am in the shop.:cool:
Got the rear package tray removed with a friends help. Some interior bracing done and cut the door tops off.:eek:
As the song says, "The first cut is the deepest.":D
The daughter flies out tomorrow afternoon so I won't be doing anymore until after that.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4547.jpg
    IMG_4547.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4555.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4552.jpg
    IMG_4552.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4551.jpg
    IMG_4551.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4550.jpg
    IMG_4550.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4536.jpg
    IMG_4536.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 22
If anyone has photoshop feel free to have a whack at it. :)

I can't revive my dated photoshop and I'm NOT paying for it twice. :mad:

Dirty, rusty hatchet job sprinkled with cinnamon...

original...

attachment.php

chopped...

attachment.php

and dropped...

attachment.php

My apologies for the poor quality. I couldn't save the "brow" with my caveman methods. I leaned the rear window forward some 10° and reduced the high roof crown.

Attachments

• Torchie IMG_4535 - Copy.jpg
    Torchie IMG_4535 - Copy.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Torchie IMG_4535 chop.jpg
    Torchie IMG_4535 chop.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Torchie IMG_4535 - drop.jpg
    Torchie IMG_4535 - drop.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 48
Ok Gang.
Here are a couple of photo shop pics done by my friend Rik Hovimg over on the Custom Car Chronicle site.
The first one is a chop only and the second one is a chop with some pancaking done to take out some of the crowm
The big difference on these is that he reworked the shape of the C pillars.
Compare them to the one the good DR did. The 3rd picture.
Thanks to all...
Torchie

Attachments

• uzj5fpu2dwhbdpbbjh3s8075o99tipm2.jpg
    uzj5fpu2dwhbdpbbjh3s8075o99tipm2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 40
  • rywlwc3j6nkx17f6b0ukvr46e6i85tbn.jpg
    rywlwc3j6nkx17f6b0ukvr46e6i85tbn.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Torchie IMG_4535 - drop.jpg
    Torchie IMG_4535 - drop.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
Ok Gang.
Here are a couple of photo shop pics done by my friend Rik Hovimg over on the Custom Car Chronicle site.
The first one is a chop only and the second one is a chop with some pancaking done to take out some of the crowm
The big difference on these is that he reworked the shape of the C pillars.
Compare them to the one the good DR did. The 3rd picture.
Thanks to all...
Torchie

I like option #1. It looks like it's moving sitting still!

That hair more rake and reshaping the rear windows a bit sure makes a difference in my eye.

I like option #1. It looks like it's moving sitting still!

That hair more rake and reshaping the rear windows a bit sure makes a difference in my eye.

Indeed it does snopro. Most of the chops that I have seen on these is kind of a "straight down" with little to no rake. To me that just makes them looked squashed.:eek:
Rik's first pic takes a lot of the squareness out to the rear of the roof as well as the rear quarter window. Almost looks sleek(Which for a 49 Dodge is no small feat).....[ddd
Torchie

Indeed it does snopro. Most of the chops that I have seen on these is kind of a "straight down" with little to no rake. To me that just makes them looked squashed.:eek:
Rik's first pic takes a lot of the squareness out to the rear of the roof as well as the rear quarter window. Almost looks sleek(Which for a 49 Dodge is no small feat).....[ddd
Torchie

I agree with the squashed analysis.

That's what I like in his first pic, it takes the square away and makes a blocky car look sleek. Some chopped and modified cars don't have the right final proportions, but that option sure does. It's subtle enough that it would look good if done as option #2, but would look outstanding if done as option #1. The majority of people wouldn't notice what was done but it would draw your attention.

I agree with the squashed analysis.

That's what I like in his first pic, it takes the square away and makes a blocky car look sleek. Some chopped and modified cars don't have the right final proportions, but that option sure does. It's subtle enough that it would look good if done as option #2, but would look outstanding if done as option #1. The majority of people wouldn't notice what was done but it would draw your attention.

In option two the upper line of the rear quarter window is closer to the stock shape snopro.
In option one that upper line it totally reworked into a graceful arch.
Now to just make it a reality......;)
Torchie

Torchie, if you value my opinion half as much as I do, then you'll use option one as your blueprint. You have to lean that back window forward quite a bit to get the coolness right.
Good luck and [cl[cl[cl [P[P[P

I thought about firing up my PhotoShop and giving it a shot, but realized I could have easily been trapped in there for hours.

I lean toward option 1, but I see three lines that are not quite aligned. The crown, the rain gutter, and the top of the window openings. I would take a bit more out of the crown over the backlite, and then move it all forward a bit more. Put some of the metal you would normally add to the roof after the chop ahead of the trunk. I know its not that simple. In other words, skinny up the "C" pillar a little more. I know that would likely eliminate the package trey, and mess with the back seat. But, beauty knows no pain. Right? :D

Option one seems to be the favorite on the CCC site as well. I have had thought in regards to reshaping the rear quarter windows that I will share once I get back home from taking my daughter to the airports
Torchie
p.s. Mac. I value your opinion more then you do😊

Latest posts

Back