Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiny black with wide whites and Caddy caps.

It looks so good.:):)

Edit...Or This.

Attachments

• bldodge.JPG
    bldodge.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
  • bldodge1.JPG
    bldodge1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 21
  • bldodge2.JPG
    bldodge2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
  • bldodge4.JPG
    bldodge4.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Shiny black with wide whites and Caddy caps.

It looks so good.:):)

Thanks Hans. Perhaps some day.:)
It has early 50's Olds wheel covers on it now.
Here is version 2.
A little harder to visualize. The rear corner of the quarter window is back in it's stock position making the wIndow it's OG length as well as reducing the saIl panel area. This configuration is closer to what both Dr Crankenstien and Rik Hoving showed.
The tape along the roof gives an idea of what what would have to be cut and moved back to make this happen. The upper section along with the B pillar.
Plus, I would need to buy more saw blades.[ddd
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 33
Cleaned up pic of version 1
And a cleaned up pic of version 2
Courtesy of our Custom friend Rik Hoving.
Torchie

Attachments

• kthjlkkqn9665o2tqafrk9xi0lmnrwq2.jpg
    kthjlkkqn9665o2tqafrk9xi0lmnrwq2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 32
  • r5q725lf5pyoixjwapzscwnjcyv2nu45.jpg
    r5q725lf5pyoixjwapzscwnjcyv2nu45.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 37
I still like the longer, larger quarter window.

I messed with one of your photos and Rik's version 2. If I cut at your tape line and slide that section back to meet your C "stub", I get this without leaning the C or re-shaping the window opening...

attachment.php

In my eye, it lines up perfectly.

Here's Rik's for comparison...

attachment.php

I AM NOT, in any way, criticizing, nit-picking or serving a cup of Kool-Aid... just sharing what I found messing with the photos...

Attachments

• Torchie quarter chop RH.jpg
    Torchie quarter chop RH.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 85
  • Torchie quarter RH.jpg
    Torchie quarter RH.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 82
I appreciate that Dr.
Riks second version and your newest version appear to be different in a bit less angle at the back (C pillar).
The chop takes some of the awkward angle out of the quarter window.
My daughter (whose eyes I trust) likes the long window version better as well.
I like them both but the long widow keeps more of the Dodge look about it.
And it makes the roof line look sleeker with the reduced sail panel area.
I'm just not sure I am up for cutting in to that roof.[;) [;) [;) [;)
I am going to let it all sit for a day or so. Recharge my batteries and then make a decision.
Off to bed as I have an early DRs. appointment tomorrow. Thanks for your thoughts.
Torchie

Last edited:
I'm with Doc, I like the longer back glass.
It give the car a little more flow :cool:

That seems to be the consensus OI
I like both versions and like my daughter said it's a matter of which one I like more.[ddd
And as she also said," You know that the one that looks better is always going to be more work." LOL
I wonder where she learned that from. [S :D
Torchie

I fully intended to not touch the Dodge today.........:eek:
Undid everything that I did yesterday.Lifted up the roof and trimmed the lower sail panel off.
This will be the drop for the rear. A little over 4 inches. Any more then that and I will have to start messing with the A pillars to be able to put windshield glass in it. As it is they may need a little tweaking.:eek:
I used matching wooden blocks to help insure the height on both sides.
The last picture show the look that I have decided on. It's the long quarter window version done by Dr Crankenstien and Rik Hoving.
What the heck. I can always turn it into a roadster......[ddd
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4603.jpg
    IMG_4603.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4604.jpg
    IMG_4604.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
    134.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
That did it. I kept thinking that it wasn't quite there for the last couple days. I knew you'd get it, but... Yup, this works. Now it flows. [cl

Now I'm thinking you already had it, and I just couldn't see it yesterday. :eek: I'll bet it gets better still.

That did it. I kept thinking that it wasn't quite there for the last couple days. I knew you'd get it, but... Yup, this works. Now it flows. [cl

Now I'm thinking you already had it, and I just couldn't see it yesterday. :eek: I'll bet it gets better still.

Eureka!!![cl

Some times I just have to convince myself. that's why some of this stuff takes so long. [ddd
Torchie

This is the plan. As of tonight.....[ddd
Cut up into the roof to the top of the tape line. Cut along the tape line. Using the height block slide the block and the cut out frame back into position.
Use the cut out frame as a guide and cut the rest of the roof and sail panel out. Then weld, grind and repeat. Easy peasy. Right.;)
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 26
This is what I get for watching football and trying to post... two hours later...

I like them both but the long window keeps more of the Dodge look about it.

My thoughts exactly! (In my eye, a well-executed chop should look like it was manufactured that way.)

I believe you're well on your way to a beautiful custom...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for posting Rik's work and allowing me to mess with it. I have no interest in stealing anybody's thunder, just happy to contribute if it helps at all. ;)

Attachments

• Torchie IMG_4535 - Copy.jpg
    Torchie IMG_4535 - Copy.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 71
    134 KB · Views: 71
I should be the last guy to comment on a top chop. But since UDS is populated by such tolerant people I'll voice my opinion.. I like the way the roof sits in post #270. I like the crown the roof has. It fits the era. If the car was made into a hardtop to me it would look pleasing. I'd think that Mopar should have built is this way.

This is what I get for watching football and trying to post... two hours later...

My thoughts exactly! (In my eye, a well-executed chop should look like it was manufactured that way.)

I believe you're well on your way to a beautiful custom...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for posting Rik's work and allowing me to mess with it. I have no interest in stealing anybody's thunder, just happy to contribute if it helps at all. ;)

Great minds think alike Dr.
Rik had sent me a PM with pic of another quick photoshop he did that looked almost identical to the one you finessed and posted.:) He does digital restyling for a living and when he says it's just "Quick and dirty" it probably took him about oh.......that long.[ddd
I agree with your comment about good customs looking like they came that way from the factory. Or should have. That's why the "Golden" years of customs (48-52 ish) really appeal to me. Clean styling that took what the factory did and made it better.
Now t make it happen....
Torchie

I should be the last guy to comment on a top chop. But since UDS is populated by such tolerant people I'll voice my opinion.. I like the way the roof sits in post #270. I like the crown the roof has. It fits the era. If the car was made into a hardtop to me it would look pleasing. I'd think that Mopar should have built is this way.

All opinions are valid here bob.:)
My daughter said the same thing when I showed her the pics. She wondered why they hadn't.
Some people told me my custom truck was the way Ford should have built it as well. LOL
Hope you had a Great Birthday.
Torchie

Todays progress

Did a little messaging of the A pillars as well as some relief cuts around the rear window . The rear window flows better and the A pillars align better. I also got it to drop down closer the the rear deck panel.
Tacked all that together so the roof was secure and made the cut into the roof over the window frame. Slid it back into place so the B pillars line up and there you have it.
I still have to trim the back corner to fit but that's for tomorrow. Enough fun for today.
I got both side cut and all in all it went smoothly.:)
Thanks for stopping in.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4627.jpg
    IMG_4627.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 34