Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I built the frame, it's been bugging me how the rear kickup
transitions from 4" to 3" and the flat piece is not centered over the diff. I don't know how it ended up like this, but I blame the tape measure..:rolleyes:
Before the body gets on it, I decided to re-do that part or it may never happen
:eek: Cut it out and fitted new pieces, not a major thing in the grand scheme of things, but it was a burr in my butt that I had to deal with....:cool:[;)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3895.JPG
    IMG_3895.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 79
Put a day in on the Packard to get the body on the frame. Lotsa fun gutting out all the wood and old floor. Put in some tube bracing first so it doesn't get all twisty. It will sit a bit higher in the rear when (if??:confused:) the 30" tall M&H rear tires show up, at least now it's not taking up 2 parking spaces. The vision is becoming reality :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3902.JPG
    IMG_3902.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 78
Not much of an update, more of an awakening and prelude to what must change....:(
The parallel leaf front suspension is causing me grief because the frame horns will protrude 3" beyond the front fenders/grille shell, something I just can't live with :mad: I've already been flamed on the Pork by "purists" for putting a 4 link on the rear, so I might as well go all the way and put coilovers and a 4 link or maybe hairpins on the front end too ! It's been done before (see pic) and would also get the spring pack out from under the frame rail to give me more travel without C notching the frame. Of course it means re-mounting the steering box, messing with the engine mount crossmember and adding a Panhard bar, but in researching this setup I finally came to understand what is wrong with the front end on the Hercules pickup [S The arc of the Panhard bar must follow the arc of the drag link to prevent bumpsteer - something I got ass-backwards....:(
In the pic of the Willys, it has some pretty unsafe looking hairpin and Panhard bar mounting, and it is using side steering instead of cross steering. I think I can do better - and no chrome....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4378.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4381.JPG
    IMG_4381.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • hrdp-1207-how-1960s-straight-axles-were-built-08.jpg
    hrdp-1207-how-1960s-straight-axles-were-built-08.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 48
F the pork! I get so aggravated at all the closed minds over there. I do things my way, so what if it doesn’t fit their label! Off the soapbox now…

ZZ, I remember seeing lots of pics of gassers from the 60’s using coilovers on tube axles in the front. IIRC, Ohio George Montgomery built all his cars that way. They were a little different than what you see now as they were taller. See if you can find some pics of his cars to see and get some ideas.

Just because it’s being built to resemble cars of an era doesn’t mean it has to follow a cookie cutter pattern. Lots of different things were tried to get a competitive edge, not all worked out, but some did. I get so aggravated by people who say it has to be a certain way or it ain’t right…I better hush before I get back on that soapbox!:D:D

Carry on, I think it’s looking good![P[cl

I never signed up on their sight because of all the bashing
I done a coilover, 4" drop axle a Vega cross steer, panhard bar and it drove very well.

attachment.php

Bama, I like the way you think [cl
Found some pics of a coilover setup on a solid front axle (ironically on the pork :D). Looks very professional, but look at the Panhard bar mounting - this is exactly what I did on the Hercules, and it is the cause of my bumpsteer problem - the drag link and Panhard bar are moving in opposing arcs, fighting each other to center the steering during suspension movement. The mounting points of the Panhard bar should be reversed, frame mount by the steering box and axle mount on the passenger side so they travel in a similar arc.
I think the driver of that car will get a surprise when it launches down the quarter mile....

Attachments

• 55 chevy 007.jpg
    55 chevy 007.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 55 chevy 013.jpg
    55 chevy 013.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 55 chevy 011.jpg
    55 chevy 011.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 38
Getting rid of the tinworms and general metal rehab today. Took the PS rocker panel off to straighten and trim it and welded it back in, eliminating the factory seams at the front and where it meets the quarter panel as I did on the last Packard. Got a piece of 1x2 tacked in to replace the wood sill that lived there before, something sturdy to attach the floor crossmembers to. Also hacked out the last of the roof wood in prep to fill the top with a steel insert. At least this body doesn't have the rot around the window openings that the other one did :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4386.JPG
    IMG_4386.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4387.JPG
    IMG_4387.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 80
Took off the DS rocker panel and straightened it - it had been squashed from abuse by a forklift and who knows what else - this body has been off a frame for 50+years so it's had some rough treatment. Added the new 1x2 floor sill and welded it in, also finished the PS one. They also tie into the rear wheel opening too, stiffening the quarter panels. Got a start on welding up the 30 some-odd holes in the firewall, it'll need a patch in the middle where someone drilled a bunch of holes, likely for different heater tubes...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4391.JPG
    IMG_4391.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 65
I've been on the Pork for over 10 years. I am getting really tired of the "strictly traditional" rules. It was more fun and there were more build threads when they allowed some newer innovations as long as you kept a traditional look. It appears the followers are getting fewer by the year. It's a shame because there are some very knowledgeable people over there.

Latest posts

Back