Electric engine swaps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's kind of an insult to the engines they are emulating with that phony cover up.
I find it hilarious that just below that article in the link is an ad for Chevys new 632 crate engine - much less $$$ than the EV conversion and the difference will buy a lot of Dinosaur juice !!:D

That's kind of an insult to the engines they are emulating with that phony cover up.
I find it hilarious that just below that article in the link is an ad for Chevys new 632 crate engine - much less $$$ than the EV conversion and the difference will buy a lot of Dinosaur juice !!:D

Yeah, $50-70K for those engine-looking V8 conversions.

That Webb Motorworks is actually based in Victoria.

If yer gunna go electric, just man up and go electric. Don't be ashamed and try to hide it under plastic V8.

My question is, how does one hide the electric drive train in an open wheeled hot rod? Without making it look stupid, of course. Maybe rear wheel drive. :confused: :confused:

If yer gunna go electric, just man up and go electric. Don't be ashamed and try to hide it under plastic V8.

My question is, how does one hide the electric drive train in an open wheeled hot rod? Without making it look stupid, of course. Maybe rear wheel drive. :confused: :confused:

That's exactly what these Webb setups do. It still drives the rear wheels through a driveshaft, and the batteries and everything are contained in the engine block, which is cast aluminum, not plastic. Most of these EV conversions still drive the rear wheels through a conventional axle, and some even use a transmission still.

If you wanted something attractive for an open-wheeled hot rod or something without a hood, this Webb Motorworks setup is probably your best option.

i seem to recall a s10 electric conversion that used the transmission. the one i saw had a 700r4 in it, but the motor was covered with a nice tin box. so if you had to you could close the hood on your open wheel and still have some of the look.

I've seen a few Teslas at the drag strip. Pretty quick, but I don't remember what they ran.
They are enticing people that direction with increasing gas prices.

Garlits trying to break 200 mph in his electric dragster.
He did break the 189 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPT3zZuzIpk

The launch needs a lot of work, but the worst thing is the poorly produced video. Where's the burnout? And why not a stationary camera showing the entire run from launch to lights. :mad:
Ho hum, needs to have some hard driving rock playing to make up for the lack of noise, maybe George Thorogood - Bad To The Bone (or maybe not so much...:() or more like One Bourbon, one Whiskey, one Beer :D:D

Welford reports that they have sold out of that electric motor swap kit. It must be pretty hot! To be honest with you if I can find someone who wanted one built I would jump on the bandwagon. I'm years behind on the ls swap craze. Maybe I should start with something new

Found "Cascadia motion " they make kits and cars. They are
the ones that got the 8 second electric cobra mustang working and located in northbend Washington.

Welford reports that they have sold out of that electric motor swap kit. It must be pretty hot! To be honest with you if I can find someone who wanted one built I would jump on the bandwagon. I'm years behind on the ls swap craze. Maybe I should start with something new

I find the tech interesting, and think one would be cool to see but I personally like carburetors, smells, and noise :D

251348643_4480707212021884_5336338927675788322_n.jpg

PERPETTUM-MOBILE
The owner of this electric car Chevy Bolt did something that no electric car producer has done so far.
Something completely logical.
I always wondered why these cars weren't designed for the energy that wheels rotate to charge the battery of the car.
This man did it at home.
What do you see in the frame is a generator that produces current that charges batteries..
No longer need to stop to charge batteries at charging stations or charge them at home at night.
While the car runs, it charges the batteries.
It's that simple...

not trying to promote, just adding info.....;)

Some electric cars do use regenerative braking, putting power back into the system. If you've ever ridden a bicycle with a generator to power a light, you know it takes effort to pedal it and keep it lit. Generating power is not free so that home made setup won't help that much.... :(
Putting a solar panel on the roof would be much more effective.

Latest posts

Back