Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 11-30-2021, 08:31 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Back at it here

Greetz, had to help take care of some estate issues, a lot on the back burner for awhile...speaking of which:

Had a little mishap when my flooding Holley caught fire at our local car show a week ago. Fortunately it was early and not a lot of cars there, but for the guy who had an extinguisher in his trunk. So after the show, got the car home, (driveable but still flooding) which is less than a mile, and I took it off and installed a new Edelbrock with the manual choke and mechanical secondary.

It ran great, but had a slight vacuum leak. So I took off the 4 hole spacer, got the slightly taller square bore with the new gaskets, studs etc. Also discovered the vac advance was shot and replaced.

Now, no vac leak, but the Eddy stumbles and hesitates when getting on it. I saw in other forums this is a problem, so I messed with timing, mixture screws, switched accelerator pump configuration, as per destruction book and forum geniuses. still have the problem. Ran better when I had the vac leak!

So now I am asking the true geniuses here, and a search here said that the 4 hole spacer may be the answer...where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2021, 09:15 AM
Creators of all things awesome

Glad your back!

Minterfab.com
Old 11-30-2021, 09:19 AM

Does it have fresh gasoline, 3 or 4 month old gas can make it run like crap. Start looking at easy cheep things first like fuel and fuel filter.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:11 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudget50 View Post
Glad your back!

Thanky! Your vids are all over youtube and enjoyable.

Quote:
Does it have fresh gasoline, 3 or 4 month old gas can make it run like crap. Start looking at easy cheep things first like fuel and fuel filter.
Tinkering again, I found the sweet spot with the timing, mixture etc. and the bog is not as bad but noticeable. We are talking 305 here, But!

The fuel/filter question made me realize something:

I noticed that the fuel inlet and filter that came in the box have the larger diameter, where I am connecting from the line is smaller, 1/4 I believe. Then it occurred to me that I still have the original 6 stovebolt fuel line from tank to electric fuel pump (26GPH, 3PSI) back to original and then larger past filter to inlet. Obviously this carb is probably requiring a better flow. Gonna give it a shot and report back, but open to other suggestions, thanx!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 AM
Creators of all things awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarat View Post
Thanky! Your vids are all over youtube and enjoyable.

Tinkering again, I found the sweet spot with the timing, mixture etc. and the bog is not as bad but noticeable. We are talking 305 here, But!

The fuel/filter question made me realize something:

I noticed that the fuel inlet and filter that came in the box have the larger diameter, where I am connecting from the line is smaller, 1/4 I believe. Then it occurred to me that I still have the original 6 stovebolt fuel line from tank to electric fuel pump (26GPH, 3PSI) back to original and then larger past filter to inlet. Obviously this carb is probably requiring a better flow. Gonna give it a shot and report back, but open to other suggestions, thanx!

Thanks! Hahaha.

Sounds like a good place to start!!!

Minterfab.com
Old 11-30-2021, 10:42 AM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Welcome back! What CFM is the Edelbrock carb? If your 305 is stock, it's easy to over do it on the carburetor size. We always think bigger is better but that can work against you here. Often it's a balance of timing, tuning and accelerator pump adjustment or sizing. On the 302 Ford in the Packard I'm working on, it is stock other than an Edelbrock dual plane manifold and headers. I put on a 450CFM Edelbrock carb and with no tuning other than the idle screws, I can stomp on it with absolutely no bog or stumble and I've only tuned the timing by ear. No matter how much gph of fuel you have coming into the carb, when you get on it from an idle, the initial response is using what is in the float bowl. If it first takes off, then stumbles a few seconds later, that may indicate that the fuel supply is not keeping up with demand. Hope this helps...
Old 11-30-2021, 10:48 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

There should be enough gas in the float bowel to get you past the bog. Did you buy a new Edelbrock? The 4 hole spacer should give a better carb signal on the small 305. The fuel requirement for a 305 probably aren't any more than for the 6 cylinder. Especially if it is stock.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It is a brand new Edelbrock 600 CFM #1405.

When I got the car I was told it had a cam in it, I think its a high torque , who knows, it feels like it because it kicks in when the 'R's are up.

It had the 200 stall torque converter hooked up to 400 Turbo with shift kit. At the time the transmission went, not long after I got the car, my old school tranny guy found incorrect issues that came with whoever built this thing, plus parts missing in the tranny. To be within budget, he hooked up a 12 inch converter instead of the 13 inch that comes with the 400 rebuild kit because of the hoops to jump through to put a 200 back in. I noticed a slight change after that rebuild.

So The fuel lines were also rigged together, big small big small...I redid it to the pump with that which was consistent with the carb. I am pretty sure I am back to where I was with the Holley, but much better for now, after timing and metering changes, and I will try back to the 4 hole spacer to see.

Below: Toasted Holley, I believe it is a 600, and...it still runs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.jpg (206.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1664.jpg (112.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

UPDATE: Went back to the 4 hole spacer, that was the answer.

Double much better. Thanx for inputs.....