Second time rebuild

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

....the T 400 that is. Second time in 4 years...that is.

My REMCO guy took good care of me, not sure how well that first rebuild was, as I posted in poetry form the lack of quality including leaving the original and missing flexplate washers inside of the torque converter channel where they spun around for four years. That shop now closed.

It took a couple of tries, had to pull it twice in two weeks to go through it again, did not go with the 2400 stall converter. They boiled out the 4 year old T350 converter, had to tinker with throttle body to get that all to move freely.

So, it still seems a bit futzy when cold, (included now is a trans cooler), it will act like a two speed powerglide, winding out and shifting from first to third, but when warmed up seems ok. At least I have a year warranty this time which helped because a week later, the (new) rear seal was leaking, and what was discovered was that the new U joint they installed had some play in it, they had to build a hybrid with different bearing cups on rear yoke side.

I was this close )( to going manual, and before this warranty year is out, may start shopping. The original clutch pedal is still laying on floor disconnected, but I know I would be hanging a whole new animal.

Thanx for allowing my rant.

I have had suchbad luck with auto transmission over the years. Same things, new rebuilds that leak, or don't shift correctly or decide to burn up instantly! Really sucks when you spend all that time installing just to remove it again a week later!!! I also contemplated putting stock in my Chevy this time around, I will probably just keep the auto. But I thought about it! Hahaha

Geez…and here I thought it was just my bad luck. :rolleyes:

No I think it's becoming more common to be honest with you. People don't care about quality control because they're so busy. Along with the parts we are getting our far worse than they used to be. Nothing's designed to last anymore

This is true, also being in a small town, it’s hard to find qualified people, and some of the younger guys may be unfamiliar with certain things.

The shop manager quietly mentioned on the U joint issue that his tech should have caught that. The tech that caught it is older and has a couple vintage autos.

Yeah, finding qualified help most places is a problem.

Hope you get it all sorted out. It's almost cruising season!!

Sounds like you have one of those odd Ford rear ends with the different sized u joint cups. They take a hybrid joint as you found out, the rear end yoke is wider and the cups a a little bit larger than the driveshaft yoke.

The guy that built my transmission stays busy. He’s got several employees including his brother and son. He knows his stuff, he builds a lot of the drag car transmissions in my area. He beefed up my AOD with extra clutches and parts from newer models, supposed to be able to withstand 400 hp. It’ll never see it, but good to know it’s capable.

Sounds like you have one of those odd Ford rear ends with the different sized u joint cups. They take a hybrid joint as you found out, the rear end yoke is wider and the cups a a little bit larger than the driveshaft yoke.

The guy that built my transmission stays busy. He’s got several employees including his brother and son. He knows his stuff, he builds a lot of the drag car transmissions in my area. He beefed up my AOD with extra clutches and parts from newer models, supposed to be able to withstand 400 hp. It’ll never see it, but good to know it’s capable.

Interesting. The U joint that matched up was mentioned as a possible Ford part they had a hard time matching it up, as it seems I have the GM 8.5 limited slip according to cover design etc. no I’d tag. The words in Little Deuce Coupe, you don’t know what I got… neither do I.

If you're going to make it up this way cruise up for the car show lol That's a heck of a drive

I enjoy driving the car, took it on a 127 mile trip to breakfast with my daughter and grandson, then to a car meet. Started with X amount of gas, ended up with same.

The math, 10-12 miles a gallon ...interstate highway! :eek: Going to recheck but...

No overdrive in aforementioned T400..... (2:56 rear gear)

I know how that goes. My bronco gets like 8 at best hahaha. We did a 900 mile weekend last fall:confused:

I've been used to the 12-15 mpg in my pickup and the wife's Expy so long that when we got the Jeep, I was amazed the thing gets something like 23 MPG! Nearly twice as good. To think about all that money she has spent on gas the last few years....I could have probably built another car!

I have no idea what the Lincoln gets. I haven't ran a tank of gas through it since I got the speedo hooked up last summer....:eek:

Yikes on the Bronco!

I've been used to the 12-15 mpg in my pickup and the wife's Expy so long that when we got the Jeep, I was amazed the thing gets something like 23 MPG! Nearly twice as good. To think about all that money she has spent on gas the last few years....I could have probably built another car!

I have no idea what the Lincoln gets. I haven't ran a tank of gas through it since I got the speedo hooked up last summer....:eek:

My boxy 96 Cherokee with the 4.0 didn't get the greatest, but it was too much fun to care, (16-20)

What year is the Lincoln? Is it the glorified Crown Vic? My '03 Interceptor got 18-22, I did the J Mod on the trans, also too fun to care, even though gas was also high back in 2013.

We had a 95 Grand Cherokee, 4.7 fulltime 4WD, and it got around 9. I know why it had a 23 gallon tank. Thing could pull though. Jim

Yikes on the Bronco!

My boxy 96 Cherokee with the 4.0 didn't get the greatest, but it was too much fun to care, (16-20)

What year is the Lincoln? Is it the glorified Crown Vic? My '03 Interceptor got 18-22, I did the J Mod on the trans, also too fun to care, even though gas was also high back in 2013.

My Lincoln is a 1947, the one in my avatar pic. It’s got a early 90’s 5.0/302 from a Crown Vic, swapped to a carb with an AOD trans behind it, right now it has a 3:00 gear. It’s got a 20 gallon or so gas tank. It’s a heavy car, probably close to 4000 lbs.

Back to transmission talk. I have had success buying used transmissions for a hundred or two and hoping they will work.

Latest posts

Back