Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the basecoat sprayed today, Midnight Purple Pearl, shone a flashlight on it in a couple pics to give an idea how it should look in the daylight, looks so dark in my shop. Tomorrow the clear goes on, that will really bring the color to life, I think. Did myself a favor and scabbed some scrap tubing together to make mounts for the fenders, so much easier to paint them like this...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 31
Clear coat, sand, sand, sand, cut and buff. No Arizona this winter for you!

Did you buy a high end paint?

Clear coat, sand, sand, sand, cut and buff. No Arizona this winter for you!

Did you buy a high end paint?

You got that right Bob! Except for the Arizona thing, leaving for the sun on Oct 15, it can cure till I come home for December, give me something to do besides shovelling snow...
It's Hotrod Flatz, I had 1 1/2 gallons left from 7 or 8 years ago, used it on the 36 Packard frame.

How do you find the Hot Rod Flatz to spray? I'm planning on using it on my roadster (without the clear coat).

Went on OK I guess, I always have a tough time laying paint on smoothly, I think I've peaked and am on the downhill now....

3 coats of clear on without any major tragedy - well, except for the epic orange peel. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot between too light and hitting it too heavy and getting runs...:( The few parts hanging outside show the color a little better.
More sanding is in the cards...

I'm on a roll with painting, primed the roll cage pieces, spraying them black tomorrow.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 39
Went on OK I guess, I always have a tough time laying paint on smoothly, I think I've peaked and am on the downhill now....

That's what I'm most nervous about. When it's satin you can't wet sand it after it's laid down. Maybe slower reducer?

It looks awesome with clear! I'm curious to see how it looks in the sun with all the curves of the body.

That's what I'm most nervous about. When it's satin you can't wet sand it after it's laid down. Maybe slower reducer?

It looks awesome with clear! I'm curious to see how it looks in the sun with all the curves of the body.

Thats definitely an issue, especially on this base because of the pearl in it - I did sand out a couple runs in inconspicuous areas and spot sprayed them, seems to be OK but for the most part you have to live with what you lay down or respray panels.
What I really need is some adult supervision, someone who knows proper painting technique, setup, equipment and problem solving.
You know, teach an old dog new tricks....:D

Color looks awesome ZZ. Very Cool! I love to have my kid around when I spray and alot of the time he'll take the gun. Second set of eyes for speed, overlap, distance always makes me feel better..... and watching that dam hose as well.

The car is going to look awesome! [P[P[P

Latest posts

Back