Should I care since I don't drive them?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

I am knee deep in a rat rod project...just keeping grinding and cutting and welding and all that fun stuff...Fed-Ex and UPS seem to be stopping here every other week...so progress is coming along...

So it appears that I have caster issue with the 1970s Nova front clip someone welded in before me...

Should I really care???

I on sitting on the fence...I love working on it but not sure I wanna cut it in half to get the caster right on it...

I don't plan on driving it...if that makes any difference...

Any thoughts ??

MikeC

20220529-175721.jpg

I find myself in the same boat as you, Mike. I bought a stalled project that had a front axle welded on, [nicely, but at the wrong angle], so I can't get enough caster. My upper A-frame doesn't look like it has as much adjustment as yours, but I'm going to make more adjustment, [I may not be able to show it on the internet though].
You may not plan on driving your car, but someone probably will in the future, [because it's a cool looking car], so please give it another try to get the caster adjusted right. Think outside the box, like can you adjust the bottom A-frame a little also, or can you get 'off centre' balljoints, can you swap sides with the upper A-frames and get the caster right.
Good Luck.

MercuryMac is on the right track, modify the A arms, either the top ones or both to get the amount of caster you need, cutting the frame again will open a fresh can of worms... Where is it at now - straight up or positive?

Hey ZZrodder

It looks like someone did a "Dukes of Hazard" on the front crossmember (like they jumped a ramp and landed on the front lower crossmember)...the lower ball joints are way farther back than the upper ones are...I don't know if a stock 1970s Nova would be set up that way or not...
received-905762603445843.jpg

You can see it here a little better...

thanks in advance.

I'd look at the same front suspension in a Nova and compare it to yours before changing anything. If there's nothing bent or torn loose on yours you might not have a problem.

I have a silly question, why are you building it if ypur not going to drive it?

I have a silly question, why are you building it if ypur not going to drive it?

Hi MinterFab

Honestly I don't enjoy driving old cars...my town has exploded in the last several years...the back roads are gone...the new fuel injected all wheel drive hot rods that all the manufactures are building are no match for the old rusty heaps we are building now...I have had way too many close calls with my old junk....I will drive a race car on a track in a heart beat...on the street...not so much...

Yeah I know...I am a freak...besides I need something to keep me busy at night too...and I love rusty old metal...

MikeC

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a project that drives like crap. Wiring and a number of other things are easy to correct, but when the chassis isn't what you were told it was or expected it to be from the sellers description, that's very frustrating. That is a big reason you see some projects going through multiple owners after being built. Now is the time to do it right and make sure whoever gets the project down the road isn't buying a voodoo doll of you.

I can't imagine building stuff and not getting to drive it, that's the best part to me!

Hi MinterFab

Honestly I don't enjoy driving old cars...my town has exploded in the last several years...the back roads are gone...the new fuel injected all wheel drive hot rods that all the manufactures are building are no match for the old rusty heaps we are building now...I have had way too many close calls with my old junk....I will drive a race car on a track in a heart beat...on the street...not so much...

Yeah I know...I am a freak...besides I need something to keep me busy at night too...and I love rusty old metal...

MikeC

So do you build them and sell them? Or do you just build them and park them outside your shop? I guess I don't get it. I do understand that not Everyone likes driving them as much as I do. But if your sellimg them dont build half a$$ed junk. Build them like you are going to drive them

There's nothing more frustrating than buying a project that drives like crap. Wiring and a number of other things are easy to correct, but when the chassis isn't what you were told it was or expected it to be from the sellers description, that's very frustrating. That is a big reason you see some projects going through multiple owners after being built. Now is the time to do it right and make sure whoever gets the project down the road isn't buying a voodoo doll of you.

I can't imagine building stuff and not getting to drive it, that's the best part to me!
I should have read your response before commenting!!! I agree. Why builf and not drive. I but thousands og miles on my rusty junk every tear

Yes I agree totally...

I tell everyone that comes to look at my old rusty stuff and I show them all the stuff that has been done to what ever it is I am selling...

Most of my recent sales is caused by...I get bored really really quick with a project...I see something that looks like I might want to tinker with....so one project goes out the door and then another one comes in...

ADHD is not a fun thing to live with...

thanks for all the insight guys...I really appreciate it...

MikeC

A few of us are 90% builders and 10% drivers. I'm one. Your probably are too. It's okay. You don't need therapy.

When I sell a hot rod or project, I make up a list of things wrong with it and what needs to be done.
I've said "no" to buyers if I think they are not capable of fixing the problems or are known hot rod "abusers". Or if in my judgement, will not be happy with the vehicle for any length of time.

Latest posts

Back