Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the doors done at the bottom and set it on the ground. Took front glass out and what a mess. Guess i will have to rebuild that also. Here are a couple of photos of the attitude i am looking for. Looking for suggestions from the last post.

Attachments

• 03-24-09_2012.jpg
    03-24-09_2012.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 03-24-09_2013.jpg
    03-24-09_2013.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 184
Got the doors done at the bottom and set it on the ground. Took front glass out and what a mess. Guess i will have to rebuild that also. Here are a couple of photos of the attitude i am looking for. Looking for suggestions from the last post.

Now were talk'n. That's baaaaaaad. Something about this build just really suits me. . . . . I can't wait to see it on the chassis. And now for my suggestion of the day. Faster, must go faster....

Cool Beans Annamel

First post on rat rods. Sorry i didn't make it to help out this pm. Had to work on a one horse unit with a stripped rear end! Got it pieced back together and running before i left. Literally. Call me. Truck looks cool. The photoshop picture is mean with the chopped top. My little one will want to go for a spin. Doc:D:D:D

Ok first time i have ever seen a 41 chevy front suspension. Better yet take one apart.I know why they call them KING pins because they were a ROYAL pain in my A$$. .Me and a buddy are going machine new spindles to use my wide 5 hubs and disc brakes. Should have them done next week. Will post pics soon.

Ok first time i have ever seen a 41 chevy front suspension. Better yet take one apart.I know why they call them KING pins because they were a ROYAL pain in my A$$. .Me and a buddy are going machine new spindles to use my wide 5 hubs and disc brakes. Should have them done next week. Will post pics soon.

Waiting impatiently........ lol. We call that a payback. :)
Good luck with the spindles and kingpins. The good news, once you get past that, it's all downhill from here on out.

Man this rat is killin me. Spindles are coming along pretty good will post pics soon. The body is giving me hard time. The floor is all gone. The sills are all gone. Doors are out of wack. Rebuilt sills and still having trouble tweaking doors. Dont want to weld braces in just yet until i get doors aligned. Any suggestions? I have ratcheted with a strap and that helped but didnt fix it.

I don't know how polished your going for in the end, but instead of concentrating on the doors, maybe you can look at it from the other side and tweek the cab to match the doors? Just a passing thought....

yeh, I am going to go that route today. thing is i have not foundation to work on.(floor board). Going to make a cut in my door sill and move in and out and see what that does. Thanks again sam

LOL well i am now topless! I got the doors straight and braces in. I marked 5" in the rear and 3.5 in the front and cut it off.I wanted to leave myself enough steel to work with in leaning the a post back. When you do this where do you start you first spot welds. In other words where do i start in putting it back together.LOL Here are some pics of the CHOP.

Had to make files smaller to upload pics

Attachments

• First chop.jpg
    First chop.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9079.jpg
    IMG_9079.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9081.jpg
    IMG_9081.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9082.jpg
    IMG_9082.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 161
Rollin right along. Today i got allot done on the chop. Nobody said anything about when you cut the a post don't do it where the lead is. LOL Live and learn. Each cut i would make it seemed to do what i didn't want but managed to work it out. Got the driver side mostly done and all of back. Seems to me that my a post kicks out a little. Might redo if you guys thinks it looks bad enough to.

Attachments

• IMG_9095.jpg
    IMG_9095.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9097.jpg
    IMG_9097.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 153
Rollin right along. Today i got allot done on the chop. Nobody said anything about when you cut the a post don't do it where the lead is. LOL Live and learn. Each cut i would make it seemed to do what i didn't want but managed to work it out. Got the driver side mostly done and all of back. Seems to me that my a post kicks out a little. Might redo if you guys thinks it looks bad enough to.

Since your leaning the posts for your chop, it usually works easier and better to cut all the way across the bottom of the windshield area and tilt it from there. It will line everything up better. There's a build called "unibody build" on RRR where he shows this really nice. Take a look. But your still looking good.

On this build being my first there are some things i have found that may be helpfull on the next. Live and learn
1 Dont cut the a post at the LEAD Body filler area
2 Dont cut to much off the top of the door frame
3 Remove all interior pieces before you start to CUT
4 Make enough cut to get the metal to do what you want it to do. Dont beat it with a BFH
5 Do both A post the SAME
When you stretching the metal make thing slicesWhen you squeezing the metal make thick cut
DO NOT GRIND OLD LEAD BODY FILLER!!!!!!
For the most part it is coming along Thanks for the support

Still lugging away at the Body. Can you say the word GLASS FIBER BODY FILLER or BONDO. I have the most admiration for yall who have done this and done it well. Cab looks like it has been flipped but didn't look like that before i got to it. LOL CHARACTER huh? Had to put some things in place today for frame design. Hope everyone had a Great Easter with their family.

Attachments

• 04-12-09_Anna.jpg
    04-12-09_Anna.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 04-12-09_QC rearend.jpg
    04-12-09_QC rearend.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 04-12-09_QC rearend A.jpg
    04-12-09_QC rearend A.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 139
well, moving right along. well had to back up today a little. Started on frame this weekend and took it off the table tonight and put on the ground and realized I "the only idiot in the shop at the time of of fabrication" made the front kick-up 16 1/2 instead of 13 1/2 in height. Will fix tomorrow night and post pics for ya. For the most part I am very happy with it so far.

Latest posts

Back