Traditional rats

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extremely cool

I would ask if it is for sale, but I just got out of one. The pick was my modified I recently sold. It was 'garage art'. Ran like a scalded dog with a l-88 clone in it, but got tired of trailer queening it to shows. Very nice to be able to drive to a show and not have to trailer it ,then change the tires from the 10's that fit on a trailer to the cool 15"s. Then back again at the end of the show. Could've changed it to a streetable car but would have ruined it's build and character. Liked climbing in the window, but cops don't.
But...pm me with a price if it's for sale!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
Yard art?! it sits very right...I like it a lot...proportions are right on for one cool hot rod

Hey Hermit Ridge

I gotta tell you the oval track coupes and coaches of my youth were awesome...would love to find one to tinker with...they were hot rods with roll cages and numbers on the doors...

The guys that drove them were my childhood heros...those things were crazy fast and a lot of them were not all that safe either....I loved them all...

MikeC

Hey Hermit Ridge

I gotta tell you the oval track coupes and coaches of my youth were awesome...would love to find one to tinker with...they were hot rods with roll cages and numbers on the doors...

The guys that drove them were my childhood heros...those things were crazy fast and a lot of them were not all that safe either....I loved them all...

MikeC
Had this 30 years...parked in 51....a roundy rat??
Not much safe on this one.

Attachments

• edits4.jpg
    edits4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 60
  • edits5.jpg
    edits5.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My thoughts exactly, If I had yard art that cool I would be working on making it run and drive!

Build one. Crushed $100 body..free butched roundy frame..cast off wheels and tires. Cut up my burn barrel for hood..patch panels..swiped my wifes chairs out of her flower garden...honest. Quart of black tempra paint...and lots and lots of pop rivets. Send photos..

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 48
Sorry to take a serious turn here but, I built my first hot rod in 1958. With the tools we had, the lack of experience and very little money, many of the hot rods of the era were pretty "ratty". It wasn't that we wanted them that way, it was the best we could do/afford.

I see nothing wrong with replicating the "average" "ratty" hot rod of that and earlier times and calling them traditional rats.

Just build 'em safe boys.

Thanks. I believe that the roundys that were built in the early 50's were truly the original rats. Guess you just had to be there...I'm 72..

WOW! Your #35 coupe is GREAT! are you able to make it street legal? I Really love your yard art coupe too. I have been looking for a mid to late 30s coupe for years to do what you already have done but mine would be street legal....I need to drive what I build. I am 65 so I remember watching these rats race every Sat. night ON THE DIRT!

WOW! Your #35 coupe is GREAT! are you able to make it street legal? I Really love your yard art coupe too. I have been looking for a mid to late 30s coupe for years to do what you already have done but mine would be street legal....I need to drive what I build. I am 65 so I remember watching these rats race every Sat. night ON THE DIRT!

Thanks. Coupe is not legal. Wanted to keep it real..important to me...but still drive it all over. You can do that in small town Oklahoma. Good luck to you old man on your search. Roundy builds are fun...just rats with numbers.

"rat rods" have been around as long as the automobile.

first they were "Gow Jobs" (unfinished homebuilts), then they were "Beaters" (again unfinished", then came the era they were called "drivers", then 10 years ago or so some one "invented the "Rat Rod".

they usually represented the first stage of a homebuilt Hot Rod, it was driven in stages of disrepair until it was all debugged and deemed road worthy, then dismantled and painted as one could afford it.

but they lead to ultra super duper street rods, that the average Joe could not afford to build.

So some one threw a p.o.s. together as a way to protest the high buck crap. and thus was "born" the "RAT ROD".

which brings us full circle to some shlub wanting to distinguish between a "real" rat and a pseudo-rat!!!!!!

GOOD GOD, can't we just build what we can afford, make it safe as possible and quit telling other people their cars are not worthy of the title Hot Rod, or Rat Rod, or Street Rod.

why do we have to always put a tag on something, or some one.

peace, love, and happy motoring.

Borrowed from the " Vintage Shots From Days Gone By" thread on the HAMB.

Blue

Attachments

• 10441264_687884501291784_8824309277509179991_n.jpg
    10441264_687884501291784_8824309277509179991_n.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 59
GOOD GOD, can't we just build what we can afford, make it safe as possible and quit telling other people their cars are not worthy of the title Hot Rod, or Rat Rod, or Street Rod.

Yup. They are what they are. Built to the best of our wallets and abilities and have fun. Drive it when you can where you can and enjoy. My favorite part is at a car show ya don't need to worry about fencing it off so it doesn't get scratched. Pull in dirty, at least they know it is not a trailer queen. Encourage people to come up and touch it. Then pass out free tetanus shots to those who think they need one.

Borrowed from the " Vintage Shots From Days Gone By" thread on the HAMB.

Blue

So he was racing the airplane and got pulled over?

"rat rods" have been around as long as the automobile.

first they were "Gow Jobs" (unfinished homebuilts), then they were "Beaters" (again unfinished", then came the era they were called "drivers", then 10 years ago or so some one "invented the "Rat Rod".

they usually represented the first stage of a homebuilt Hot Rod, it was driven in stages of disrepair until it was all debugged and deemed road worthy, then dismantled and painted as one could afford it.

but they lead to ultra super duper street rods, that the average Joe could not afford to build.

So some one threw a p.o.s. together as a way to protest the high buck crap. and thus was "born" the "RAT ROD".

which brings us full circle to some shlub wanting to distinguish between a "real" rat and a pseudo-rat!!!!!!

peace, love, and happy motoring.

Well said...lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back