Oh Great Rat Rod Wizzards of everything mechanical...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibTimothy

..Hear my pitiful cry for help.

I bought a cheap Murray mower at Wally World to cut the grass I can't reach with the lawn tractor.

I have less than 3 hours of run time on it since I opened the box.

I forgot about the tree stump that hides under the grass when it needs mowing.

I hit that stump so hard that the air cleaner flew across the yard. The oil drained out faster than you can say "Oh S$##"

So.... Can this be fixed or do I now own a brand new piece of lawn art?

Timothy

So what did we learn about Chinese Lawn Mowers today? :p:p:p

Use the dynamite on the stump.

Then get an American Lawn Mower:

American Lawn Mower Co. (Shelbyville, IN): Lightweight push reel mowers are good for the lawn, the planet, and you! Models still made in USA: 1404-16, 1705-16 (also sold under the Great States brand as 404-16 and 705-16) (as of January 2013).

Ariens Corp. (Brillion, WI): snow blowers and zero-turn mowers for consumers, plus commercial lawn equipment and specialty mowers for landscapers, golf courses, and sports turf.

Snapper (McDonough, GA): all Snapper lawn mowers are made in USA. Lawn tractors are made in Port Washington, WI; commercial equipment is made in Munsville, NY; and other Snapper products are made in McDonough, GA.

And stay out of Wal-Mart.

:D

junk it ... the old lawn mowers you could cut that stump up ,, just like a beaver ,, the new stuff , you hit an ant hill (down here) in the south ,, you done bent the crank shaft ... If you dont have a choice go dig the stump up and buy another future yard art

Fire Ant Hill that is !!

ahill.jpg

brigs came out with a ridding mower that the shaft was so long that the blade belt would pull so hard on it , it would cause the bottom oil seal to leak all down in the bottom pulley all over your belt .... Bad design or cheap maybe.. cheap dont mean better , but sometimes thats all we can manage at that time ... in long run you will still come out better buying the best to start with...JMO

Take it back to MalWart. One of my kids did the same thing, didn't break the case but bent the crank bad. I told them there is supposed to be an aluminum flywheel key that shears and it failed to. (this is true) They gave me a new mower.

OK. Thanks for the advice.

I am afraid that I can't stop shopping at Walmart. I am a Walmart stock holder. That's right I own two (2) shares of Walmart stock. So I now believe that every trip to Walmart is tax deductible because I am "Checking on my investment". :) My CPA says I am crazy, but what does she know. :) I mean she married me. Right? :)

Also, I can't take it back to Walmart, because, well I knew the stump was there... well near where I was mowing. And I hit it. I should have been more careful. Really, it is my fault. The old mower was set so the blades cleared the stump. I should have checked the blade height of the new mower. This really is my fault.

Willowbilly, please tell me more about this key. Where is it? If the mower should have failed in a repairable way... Then Murray should share the blame.

I was hoping that there was a way it could be fixed. Maybe some JB weld and a hose clamp. Something.......

If you all, the people who know everything, are telling me this can't be fixed, then it can't be fixed.

Oh. well. I hate mowing anyway.

Thanks!

Timothy

The flywheel is on a tapered end of the crank with an aluminum key that is designed to shear so the spinning weight of the flywheel doesn't bend the crank or break stuff if you hit something. I still say take it back, what have you got to loose? I don't think your stock will go down if they have to give you a new mower.

If it is the key you will have to remove the cover on top of the motor and then the flywheel the key is what holds the flywheel in place. If the motor does not turn over the the crank is bent.

….I can't take it back to Walmart, because, well I knew the stump was there... well near where I was mowing. And I hit it. I should have been more careful. Really, it is my fault. ….
Timothy

Well God Love ya for being an honest man. [cl[cl[cl

Break-a-way Aluminum key or not, a lawn mover is still not a stump grinder ;)

That said by the man that runs his own mower over the curb to sharpen the blade. :eek:

Last edited:
Hey IronRat

Sharpening a blade by running it over the curb seemed like a pretty good idea...guess you kinda' got to develop a touch for it. Anyway, now I'm going to try your goat idea until I can get saved up enough to buy a new mower. :)

No it's a stupid idea, usually done after yelling "Hold my Beer watch this". :eek:

Of course I don't buy new mowers. Mine come from yard sales or I go "shopping" on Trash pick-up day. :D

Latest posts

Back