Harbor Freight engine leveler.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Last week I bought one of the engine levelers/tilters from Harbor Freight. Why did I not buy one of these years ago ? With a turn of the handle I was able to level the engine and then turn it some more and tilt it down into the engine room of my Sons Mustang. A little more cranking and we leveled the engine out and slid it into the transmission mount.

I thought the handle might be hard to turn, but it is really easy, plus I put some grease on the whole threaded rod before we used it. Best $45.00 I have ever spent. It is really a very nice piece.

Don

Ya know, Bob, I have seen these for years and for some unknown reason never bought one. It is like every other tool, once you own one you wonder how you ever got along without it.

For $45 it makes it so much easier to get the engine down in there and then level it out when it is in. One guy can do it all by himself, pretty much.

Don

Totaly

A friend gave me one after listening to me complain about getting the engine in the willys. This one come with a nut. As you might know i had to pull the head on my new DD, twice, lift tilt pull level. The head weights in at 80#, to much for one old guy, can't wait to do a hole engine. [cl
55 years of rodding and never had one [S
Old dog new trick :eek:

They are handy. I removed the handle and welded a nut on. Now I can use an impact wrench or ratchet.

Only complaint I have is my handle removed itself. Just the plastic part. Stripped out. Just got to be careful how ya turn it or it falls off. But otherwise a very nice piece!

I got one at a swap meet a few years back, makes a bid difference, especially with corvettes... it's like a contortionist rmoving those engines... LOL

Thanks for the tip Don... I'll be picking one up tomorrow. FYI: I had a hard time finding them on the HF website so here's the HF item description & part# -- Pittsburgh Automotive 2 Ton Capacity Heavy Duty Load Leveler - item#60659

They are handy. I removed the handle and welded a nut on. Now I can use an impact wrench or ratchet.

Thanks DMW... I'll be doing that as well!

BoB

shorter bar.

I don' remember what vehicle it was, but I took about 3 inches out of one of mine so I could get an engine in with out bending the top of the firewall, I have one of the old Ford Factory bars that has a few holes for the lift hoist. different engine -trans had different center of gravity.

Does the crank ever get in the way for you?

Not that I think a guy could easily build one for a price like that, but is this how it works: the top hook runs back & forth in a slot, connected to a large threaded bolt/screw (like in a vise), and supported by rollers along the bottom edges of the bar?

What is the overall length of the bar?

I purchased this one from Macs a few years ago and it is awesome. Only downfall is it is not as universal as the chain style one and it's also 3 times the price. But it works great can do motor and trans and almost point the tailshaft straight down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
This is what a cheaper one look like - gives you a idea how they are put together. Real handy when trying to line up the motor to a manual trans still in the vehicle!

1d91cfa8-ba41-4b0f-9e2a-f0ecd9e510e8_1000.jpg

I picked up one yesterday and used it today. I don't know how I did without one for so long. I did grease the screw shaft and the rollers on the bottom and it worked great. I think the handle needs a piece of all thread through it and it should last longer than I will. Thanks guys for the info.

I bought a similar thing a few years ago, but the slidey piece was made from seamed steel box section, and it was welded up with the internal seam running on the cross piece and you could feel the metal on metal carnage as you screwed it back and forth under load. I did my best to get a file in there and smooth it but a little thought when it was manufactured would have helped.

We just used ours again a couple of weeks ago when we pulled the blown engine out of my Son Don's T bucket. We didn't want to remove the trans with it because there is a lot of stuff to disconnect, so we just pulled the motor. The tilter let us work the engine away from the trans and over the front crossmember real easy.

I like it more and more every time I use it. I'm sure there are more expensive units on the market, but for the occasional motor we pull it is just fine.

Don

Mine came with the cherry picker I bought on CL with an engine stand. I likely would not have bought it otherwise. I'm kinda' cheap that way. :rolleyes: Sure am glad I have it! Great little tool. :D

Latest posts

Back