Too much time on your hands?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
Saw this and thought wow! You've either got too much spare time on your hands or your wife said to get rid of some of the cars you've been storing!!...lol

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1559992828041.jpg
    FB_IMG_1559992828041.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 64
I have seen this photo circulating the last few days, and as most of us know photos of this have been around for years.

I can ID the rear and bottom of doors (Pontiac Grand Am), Cab (IH truck), and front end and wheels (Olds Alero), but the nose piece and hood were puzzling me.

Yesterday I was at a museum an hour away and they're restoring a 1958 Canada Tractor Truck that is very rare, used an IH cab (notice this one has big rig style grab handles, clearance lights, and holes for large mirrors), and a similar style hood to the one on this... Thing. I still think the hood could be from something different, but the lines on the front nose piece look the same to me.

Unfortunately, it looks like whoever built this might have cut up quite a rare truck to do it. I've attached photos from the web of a 1958 Canada Truck.

Attachments

• 49c79bf1f3df1b72651060869a286afa.jpg
    49c79bf1f3df1b72651060869a286afa.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 51cbffe6-0807-4682-9f7e-2908.jpg
    51cbffe6-0807-4682-9f7e-2908.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
  • a7070d27-cea0-400c-a45b-aed7.jpg
    a7070d27-cea0-400c-a45b-aed7.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 18
I understand many companies have come and gone in the heavy truck business over the years. (Have you seen a Hayes lately?) I've never heard of the "Canada" branded truck, snopro. Thanks for posting!

Were you at Reynolds Museum? I thought it was defunct and/or died with Stan Reynolds... let me retract that... I must be thinking of his estate sale and what remained in his collection. [S

Back to the abortion... there's nothing special about the hood or rad shell. Look here...

IHC R190

Back quickly to the Canada tractor truck.... curiosity and further searches name Leyland Motors, (UK) Canadian Car and Foundry Ltd., and IHC as collaborators in the project.

My first impressions were that the hood was from an old tandem IH, [about 1956]. So, I agree with Dr. Crank and somewhat with Snopro.
And I agree with the rest of you that the builder should be strapped into that concoction when it goes into the crusher.

I understand many companies have come and gone in the heavy truck business over the years. (Have you seen a Hayes lately?) I've never heard of the "Canada" branded truck, snopro. Thanks for posting!

Were you at Reynolds Museum? I thought it was defunct and/or died with Stan Reynolds... let me retract that... I must be thinking of his estate sale and what remained in his collection. [S

Back to the abortion... there's nothing special about the hood or rad shell. Look here...

IHC R190

Back quickly to the Canada tractor truck.... curiosity and further searches name Leyland Motors, (UK) Canadian Car and Foundry Ltd., and IHC as collaborators in the project.

You're right Dr. C, it looks like the parts are from an IHC truck like you posted, a relief that it's nothing special.

I had never seen a "Canada" either, until I saw the one in their restoration shop, it's really neat.

Yep, I was at Reynolds. The collection Stan had and his personal stash is what went away, the Reynolds Alberta Museum consists of everything that was donated to the museum (Property of the Alberta Government) and is alive and well. They've actually added and changed things more in the last few years than they ever have since I was a kid. Great show with lots of cars and lots of cool stuff!

Latest posts

Back