Plasma cutter question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
Anybody have any experience with the Zeny Cut50??? I'm trying to go cheap on a cutter but I know that you get what you pay for usually. I've looked at reviews on it which are pretty good generally. The setup looks fairly complete for the money and my expectations are for light use on mild metals probably not more than 1/4" thick. What I'm really looking for is some actual reviews from somebody that has used one of these, good or bad. Thanks in advance...

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Your-own-Plasma-Cutter/

just a thought..

ive spent over a decade selling welding equipment etc, and I would say that if you are not doing all day everyday and the good reviews outweigh the bad in content as well as quantity .. then you are probably on to a good thing

the real let down is the quality of internal parts. most nowdays use the same components and probably sourced ex China...

given that there is a lot of welding equipment made in china, ( my own inverter welders (x2) are seen on Aliexpress in different colors being offered for sale with your brand painted on ) im very happy with their performance so far.. in fact a engineer I know has round eight of the same machines as my two used in a workshop capacity all day long

see if you can test before you buy, ask the seller who else they sold one to. if its a business, take time to ask them what they think .. if they have a minute ive people are happy to chat about what they do ..

just a thought

over and out

ps if its any good you could tell the rest of us what you think :)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Your-own-Plasma-Cutter/

just a thought..

ive spent over a decade selling welding equipment etc, and I would say that if you are not doing all day everyday and the good reviews outweigh the bad in content as well as quantity .. then you are probably on to a good thing

the real let down is the quality of internal parts. most nowdays use the same components and probably sourced ex China...

given that there is a lot of welding equipment made in china, ( my own inverter welders (x2) are seen on Aliexpress in different colors being offered for sale with your brand painted on ) im very happy with their performance so far.. in fact a engineer I know has round eight of the same machines as my two used in a workshop capacity all day long

see if you can test before you buy, ask the seller who else they sold one to. if its a business, take time to ask them what they think .. if they have a minute ive people are happy to chat about what they do ..

just a thought

over and out

ps if its any good you could tell the rest of us what you think :)

Thanks Crate! I've noticed too on these Zeny units that other brands in different colors and names but still with the CUT50 or CUT60 on the front and assumed they were the same manufacture. I'm going to check the Aliexpress too. I remember seeing them in one of the sites I've been studying.

I'm kinda leaning that way too Bob!

I bought a Miller & paid good money for it but doubt I've really gotten my money's worth. You could buy several of those & come out way ahead unless you use a cutter much, much more than I have!

BoB

I seen where you said slight use.
Even though, buy the 60 amp machine for no more difference than there is.
I bought a Hypertherm 600 new, years ago and have had zero problems with it. It's only a 40 amp machine which I've cut 1/2" mild steel with it. I wished I had of bought the 80 amp machine and now I'm thinking of buying the Hypertherm Powermax 85.
You only run the amps you need to get the job done.

They both look a lot like the one that I have smallfoot. Mine was bought thru my local auto parts store about 5 years ago . It does the job but now it seems that they no longer make the consumables for it.:eek: I have found them on e-bay but of course the price is jacked up on them. For what little cutting I do with it, it works fine but if I ever go to replace it I will look for a "Brand" name like Miller.
Torchie

I bought a Hypertherm 600 new, years ago and have had zero problems with it. It's only a 40 amp machine which I've cut 1/2" mild steel with it. I wished I had of bought the 80 amp machine and now I'm thinking of buying the Hypertherm Powermax 85.
I have a 600 and we just out grew it as far productivity was concerned. It will only cut 3/8 at 15" per minute. Then it would overheat in about 25 minutes of continued use. We bought the new Hypertherm 85 and it is a real work horse for us. It cuts the 3/8 at 75" per minute and runs nonstop.

Like welders buy the biggest one you can afford, you can turn them down, but you can't turn them up.

Another thing to look at is consumables, cost, availability, and life. Plasma cutters will not tolerate ANY water. We had to install a refrigerator air dryer and also a motor gaurd filter.

Thanks guys for the responses! I was considering the higher amped one just for extra ability and I have the outlets in the barn to run it. When I score one, I'll post a review...

As dry of air as possible is an absolute fact.
For an every now and then use plasma, minimum is a paper cartridge type filter.

msPsFAmqAPBtRw0hJQUIsmA.jpg

Thanks Old Iron! You're right about that. Down here you produce alot of water with anything using compressed air. I noticed the set has one but it's probably the cheapest inline filter they could find...they don't help but for a few minutes here.

I think you may be a brother from another mother. I too bought the powermax 600 new years ago, I havent ever had a problem with it, and I wish I had bought the powermax 1000 and I plan a second purchase of a larger hypertherm this year. I also ordered a motorguard paper filter with my PM600, its amazing. [cl

I use the fine cut kit with a standoff and it makes gorgeous cuts. the drag tip is also really nice when you need it.

I have definitely gotten my use out of it, I call it the time machine because instead of hours cutting grinding smoothing, buying sawzall blades and cutoff discs and flap discs, I just power it up drag it, done. need a bracket? trace it on some metal and let the metal cool when you are through cutting, done. in an awkward spot to trim? no disassembly the torch head fits, done. rivets? an hour with the air chisel, or pop the heads off in a couple seconds, done.

as far as the cheaper ones go, if you dont mind the price tag for disposable, go for it. I know some have good warranties but look at the fine print, make sure YOU are not responsible for shipping and packaging to and from. I buy harbor freight stuff for once-in-a-while use tools so dont think I am a snob.

Thanks and I understand. It would be occasional around here but right now I'm holding my money tight. Just got back from making a tour thru a house my daughter is trying to buy. It's a fixer upper and there are some limitations for time so she can move in. It's a fixer upper and some stuff sorely needs it before she does. I've been telling her for years that she needed to buy rather than rent and I think it finally sunk in. So I'm looking at a large cash outlay shortly and I'll have to try the plasma cutter out a little later than sooner. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Latest posts

Back