1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after 2 rounds of hi build primer, spot filling and block sanding, I've got a sealer coat on. It doesn't look dramatically different except it has more of a sheen due to addition of 1 part clear in place of 1 part of primer.
Looking like just a final block sanding and then color can go on.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks all for the kind words! This is where I get nervous, despite all the prep work and practice spraying primer, it can all go sideways in the last stage of shooting the color. At least it's cool enough now that I won't be getting sweat drips on it :eek:

Base coat/clear coat or urethane? I'll bet you did the prep work to perfection, knowing that the final finish depends so heavily on it.

Do you use guide coat?

Base coat/clear coat or urethane? I'll bet you did the prep work to perfection, knowing that the final finish depends so heavily on it.

Do you use guide coat?

Just going with single stage urethane here, easy to do respray or touch ups when there is no clearcoat.
Perfection is subjective...(beauty is in the eye of the beerholder:rolleyes:)
I don't do the guide coat thing, just lazy, mostly...:D

attachment.php

Starting small with the painting, did the dash, garnish mouldings, seat pedestals and heater shroud. Low tech stuff, Tremclad Chestnut brown, actually pretty close to the original Packard color on the dash and mouldings.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 55
That looks great ZZ, their chestnut brown is a nice colour. Do you add reducer and hardener?

Yes, I searched you tube vids and went with 5 parts Tremclad (Rustoleum), 3 parts Acetone and .5 part hardener. I just use what's on my shelf, in this case, PPG urethane hardener. Seems to work OK for me - if you don't use a hardener, this stuff takes ages to dry, stays sticky for days.

Is that why you put some clear in the primer?

No, the clear in the hi build primer is the recipe to convert it to a sealer coat as per the PPG formula. That way I don't need to buy two different primers. Depending on the type of paint going on it sometimes painters also put a base color on, like white before a silver or to alter the effect of a transparent mid coat.
Too fancy for me...

Latest posts

Back