'62 Nova ragtop build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Please forgive me... this was B4 I came over 2 the rusty side!!!

I drove a '64 Nova SS in high school but it had an 194 6 bang 3 on-da-tree. Some how a '62 Nova ragtop with a LT1 350 out of a '95 'Vette 350 auto tranny wound up in my driveway a few years back! I switched out the EFI for a carburetor... I don't know jack about EFI but I'm pretty good with carbs. It was a pretty fun car, black cherry paint job, a little rough inside but what the hay. Only problem was... it handled like a dang brick. One day (u know how this goes!) I decided to work on the suspension. After checking out the options I decided to put on a TCI front clip. After researching it & chattin with other guys on-line I calculated with my work load it would take me 3-5 years to finish. That was unacceptable because overall this was a really fun car to drive around! I met a guy on-line who had done this upgrade & he turned me on to a shop about 30 miles from me that had done several of these... long story short. I turned my car over to them hoping it would only take 3 times as long as they said it would. I chose & bought every part... they did the work. I asked them to finish up in 90 days so I could drive it for the Spring & Summer season. Hard to believe but... they finished this build in 60 days! I tore the rear end out last year & my new rear end will b in next week so I am very excited to get this baby back on the road. Sorry about the long winded ramble... on with it!!!

FYI: This shop does great work, is honest, nice & FAST! South Coast Rides, Rosenberg, Tx. - They Rock!
http://www.scrides.com

This foto is what the engine compartment looked like b4 I started...

BoB

Attachments

• engine copy.jpg
    engine copy.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Front end comes off!

Shoeboxes r unibody so the front end comes off with 8 bolts...

Attachments

• de2.JPG
    de2.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 83
  • frontendoff.jpg
    frontendoff.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 82
Next comes TCI clip!

TCI rack & pinion Mustang II clip...

Attachments

• de5.JPG
    de5.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 49
  • de6.JPG
    de6.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 48
  • de18.JPG
    de18.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 65
  • de19.JPG
    de19.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 59
Next comes brake lines etc

Next comes brake plumbing, steering mock up.....

Attachments

• de44.JPG
    de44.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • de46.JPG
    de46.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
New fender wells

New fender wells leaves plenty of room now. Motor & tranny jumps in place...

Attachments

• b4engineputin.jpg
    b4engineputin.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 44
  • de52.JPG
    de52.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
  • de53.JPG
    de53.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 51
  • de54.JPG
    de54.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 41
More things start happening!!!

Motor starts getting fleshed out...

Attachments

• de72.JPG
    de72.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 26
  • de76.JPG
    de76.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 32
  • de79.JPG
    de79.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 34
Really coming together now...

Startin' to get front sheet metal mocked up & total re-wire starts...

Attachments

• nearly.jpg
    nearly.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
  • de35.JPG
    de35.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 39
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 43
  • mockupwhile-wiring.jpg
    mockupwhile-wiring.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 38
Tripper, I think you have more shiny stuff on that car than the rest of the cars on the forum combined. Just kidding. Nice. Where's the over all pics of the car? You can't just tease us like that.

Coming close!

Now we're gettin' somewhere! All wiring that can be hidden... is! Wiring for headlites is out of sight up under fender wells etc...

Attachments

• motrorheadon.jpg
    motrorheadon.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Motor4.jpg
    Motor4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Interior next!!!

Interior was pretty ratty & wiring was a real rats nest... it all had to go! Interior is basically stock Nova except for seats, shifer & updated gauge cluter...

Attachments

• interiorb4-best.jpg
    interiorb4-best.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 45
  • interiorb4.jpg
    interiorb4.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 34
  • interiob4-2.jpg
    interiob4-2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 36
  • de109.JPG
    de109.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 53
  • de106.JPG
    de106.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
That's about it!!!

That's it. After setting up for a year with a broken rear end, my new 9" Ford 3.5:1 posi rear will b in next week & I'll b hittin' the road again soon!

BoB

Attachments

• de115.JPG
    de115.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 209
I lost control & my mind too!

Tripper, I think you have more shiny stuff on that car than the rest of the cars on the forum combined.

Gastrick,
You know how it is... one thing lead to another & the next thing u know...

I tried my best to "kill the billet"!!!

BoB

Last edited:
I've been struck blind by all that shiny stuff !!!:eek: :eek: :D But I LIKE it. :D

Super looking ride for sure. Really funny how that whole front end rolls away from the car with just a few bolts.

Nice job Bob.

Don

Sorry, this was b4 I saw the RUST!!!

I've been struck blind by all that shiny stuff !!!:eek: :eek: :D But I LIKE it. :D

Obi-won,
Please forgive me... this was B4 I came over to the rusty side!!! May the oxidation always b with me now!!!

Really funny how that whole front end rolls away from the car with just a few bolts.

Sorta scary in a way. I knew it came apart like that but when I saw the way they did it I was pretty surprised!

BoB

Last edited:
Gastrick,
You know how it is... one thing lead to another & the next thing u know...

I tried my best to "kill the billet"!!!

BoB

I was just funnin with ya. It looks really nice. You wouldn't be putting up with any grief from me if you would have seen my scoot that I put up in the bike section:eek: .

Tripper,
Lemmie see here. You gotta big SS p/up, the red car, the daytripper, This chebby twice, so what else are you hiding on us....What does the Boss lady drive, a Bentley or something.....

Now I'm gettin it...The new house you mentioned somewhere before....

Man, some people got all the luck.
Color me green.....
LOL...LOL...LOL...
That twice looks real smooth. Great ride man...

I've had the Nova for 10 years now & it's starting to show a lil wear so slowly but surely I'm gonna give it a lil freshen up. Been working on the body a lil and decided to freshen up under the hood. Ordered these new valve covers for the LT1 yesterday! Car still drives great but eventually want to slam in a new bullet! Working on a new paint scheme as we speak!

BoB

Attachments

• finnedcovers.JPG
    finnedcovers.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 7
Ok... it's official! For my vaca... I'm swappin' out the old 250hp SBC for a 425hp one. I drained the radiator & took the hoses off... now on to disconnecting everything, yankin' the old one out & slammin' the new one back in! As per Don's instructions... I have lots of Neosporin & Bandaids handy cause blood, sweat & tears are always part of the process!

BoB

Attachments

• begun.jpg
    begun.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back