buddies work bench

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Since my buddy let me keep my rat in his garage for a couple months and work on it there I decided I wanted to do something nice for him. All his work benches (built by the previous owner) were just 3/4ply on 2x4 legs and that was it. No support to them at all. I built him this to replace his bench on the back wall.

2012-09-27_12-47-06_803.jpg

2x2x1/4 angle for the top outer structure and center cross brace 1x1x1/4 for the rest of the cross braces. 2x2 tube for legs and gussets on the legs. Bolted to the wall in 4 spots and legs anchored in the concrete in the front. It now has 2x12s on the top bolted down. I am about 280# and can stand in the middle and jump and it doesn't give at all.

Nice.....there's nothing like having a workbench collapse with a bunch of stuff on it.....seen a few that shouldn't have been standing!!!:eek:

That is one sturdy workbench. Bet he really appreciated you doing that for him. :)

Don

Yeah he is pretty stoked about it. He really likes the little bench extension I put in it for him too. Already wants me to fab up some mounts for him to use it. I swear that is one of my best ideas yet!!

Cover that wooden top with steel sheet. I used 14ga, with a 6" kick up in the back and a 4" kick down in the front. Real easy to keep clean. Just my thoughts.

Great looking bench by the way.

Nice bench,he should really like that..

I've got the matls. to build one for my shop, just haven't had time..my work was throwing out a bunch of those 5' long Dayton Industrial Machinist benches because they had wobbly legs:rolleyes: I hauled home a trailer load of them..I tossed the legs and plan on welding them together and making a continious steel top for it..Frame will be 2" square tubing

Latest posts

Back