Compressor threw a rod..LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim...Ok

My 8 year old port cable 80 gallon upright compressor threw a rod last weekend..broke rod, broke crankshaft and windowed the block..I need to take some carnage pics to show ya'll.. LOL

to bad your werent closer i got a industrial compressor out of a local garage you could have. It works perfect drinks a little bit of oil but not bad, I just dont have a 220 volt line to plug it in to.

I bought a harbor freight compressor head for mine. So far so good. Pumps a lot faster then my old one. It had been locked up three time tho lol.

That sucks! I have been waiting for the last couple years for my 14+ year old Coleman 3 hp 60 gallon to throw a rod. I have been researching my next one for quite a while. I bought the Coleman for $380 from Quality Farm and Fleet when they were still around, been a pretty good deal for the use it has seen. I wouldn't do it again though. Way under powered for what I put it through.

I had an old Crapsman 25gal horizontal, oil less compressor until about a year ago. It all the sudden sounded really rough then bang!!! All I could hear after that was something bouncing through the shop. I found the flywheel laying about 20ft from the compressor rod broken in half still attached, piston still in the pump. Now I have a nice roll around 25 gallon porta-tank and a new 30 gallon upright compressor.

Was it loud when it went :eek:

I would have to guess that it was, but it blew during the night, so I didn't get to hear it..

I bought one of the harbour freight v twin cast iron pumps for it last night..We'll see how it works soon i hope..Also picked up a couple packages of the butt welding clamps while I was there, never know what a person might use those for when building an old ratty truck:D

to bad your werent closer i got a industrial compressor out of a local garage you could have. It works perfect drinks a little bit of oil but not bad, I just dont have a 220 volt line to plug it in to.

Wish I was closer too, I appreciate the offer..

I have one too that I've actually rebuilt once..

I had an old Crapsman 25gal horizontal, oil less compressor until about a year ago. It all the sudden sounded really rough then bang!!! All I could hear after that was something bouncing through the shop. I found the flywheel laying about 20ft from the compressor rod broken in half still attached, piston still in the pump. Now I have a nice roll around 25 gallon porta-tank and a new 30 gallon upright compressor.

put in a new piston and sleeve and bearing (kit from sears) ....in a pinch it works great for working away from the barn and out of hose reach...doesn't get used much but I paid nothing for it since it wouldn't pump any air....so I got the rebuild kit and it builds 125 really quick.... I'll just duck when I'm using it...LOL

I would have to guess that it was, but it blew during the night, so I didn't get to hear it..

I bought one of the harbour freight v twin cast iron pumps for it last night..We'll see how it works soon i hope..Also picked up a couple packages of the butt welding clamps while I was there, never know what a person might use those for when building an old ratty truck:D

That's funny, I bought the exact same thing when I bought mine. No joke, my compressor works good and is very quite.

Had to take a picture for you guys..LOL

2012121395213542.jpg

Latest posts

Back