1936 Chev 4 door rust bucket

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have a good look through your build - glad to hear you're almost done. All the wood is out of my cab now apart from the two main rails. Still have to remove the wood from the doors which I will start this weekend. Because it is so rotten it splits and comes out easy.

I fabbed a die for my tube bender on the weekend so I can bend one inch square tube with it. Tested it and it works well - will be time consuming though.

haha - not 'almost done' really - just the re-building part! We still have wiring and interior paint/upholstery - then exterior bodywork and paint. Still a long ways to go, but a LOT behind us now....

Good luck with bending the square tube - we tried and failed and ended up notching square tube and welding it to fit curves.

I will have a good look through your build - glad to hear you're almost done. All the wood is out of my cab now apart from the two main rails. Still have to remove the wood from the doors which I will start this weekend. Because it is so rotten it splits and comes out easy.

I fabbed a die for my tube bender on the weekend so I can bend one inch square tube with it. Tested it and it works well - will be time consuming though.
Please put a few pics in the tools section, with a bit of an explanation of how you did it. We love home built tools. [cl

Made some progress over the weekend. I now have all the fenders off - some rusted edges will need to be replaced with fresh metal. I removed the motor with my second hand crane - how easy is that? Never done it before but it certainly makes light work of it. I have started folding, stretching and shrinking new metal to replace the wheel arch. I hope to do this to firm up the body before I brace it and lift it off. From what I can see so far, the frame is pretty solid. Wire wheeled a couple of places and seems ok but won't count my chickens yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3914.jpg
    IMG_3914.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 42
Was away on a business trip so out of the shed for over a week - not good. Shaped the first piece of new metal to replace the rotted bit over the right rear wheel arch. Folded a piece of 18 ga on my highly inadequate metal folder - had finish the fold in the vice with a hammer. Used my Shrinker/ stretcher to shape it til it looked pretty right. Clamped it, marked it and cut the old bit out. Clamping the new bit in ready to start welding. First time I have done this so hopefully it will work out ok. Not always easy to get the line right but practice makes perfect I guess and I'll get quicker. Good fun learning though! That's all I got a chance to do tonight - got a lot of night events on this week so realistically won't get in here again til weekend - bummer.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 40
Hi.

Good to see another Australian car on here.

Look up the Street Rod NCOP. It's a national code of practice for pre-1948 vehicles set up by the dept. of Infrastructure (the guys that make the rules for all the state motor registry mobs to follow).

It's a big set of documents to get through, but basically gives you a set of rules to follow in building you car.
If your build falls within these guidelines and the workmanship is suitable, you should be accepted for registration anywhere in Australia.
If there is nothing too wild or unusual in your build you won't even need an engineer to sign off on it.

Here's the link - https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/street_rod.aspx

Hi.

Look up the Street Rod NCOP. It's a national code of practice for pre-1948 vehicles set up by the dept. of Infrastructure (the guys that make the rules for all the state motor registry mobs to follow).

It's a big set of documents to get through, but basically gives you a set of rules to follow in building you car.
If your build falls within these guidelines and the workmanship is suitable, you should be accepted for registration anywhere in Australia.
If there is nothing too wild or unusual in your build you won't even need an engineer to sign off on it.

Here's the link - https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/street_rod.aspx
That is pretty cool. I could get caught up in reading how it is done down under. I did for a while there. :D Some rules seem a bit restrictive, but at least it is clear what you need to do.

Hi.

Thanks mate. That is good news as I have still been trying to work out what I am going to do. I will have a read through and see what's possible but certainly won't be anything wild. Where in Australia are you?

Thanks mate. That is good news as I have still been trying to work out what I am going to do. I will have a read through and see what's possible but certainly won't be anything wild. Where in Australia are you?

Yes, now that I have had a look at the link I see what it is. Have saved that document previously and have read it a couple of times. It is quite good I have found - especially for a novice like me.

Yes, now that I have had a look at the link I see what it is. Have saved that document previously and have read it a couple of times. It is quite good I have found - especially for a novice like me.
I scanned it in several places and it is written in plain language that a person can understand. Here in the good ol' U.S. of A., this type of document is written by lawyers. Nobody can understand that. And it is 100% deliberate. :eek:

In the sticks just outside of Canberra!

Got a little bit of time in the shed this weekend so finished the first wheel arch. I think the second one will be easier now that I sort of know what I am doing. Have learnt a bit. Still some hammer and dolly work to do but it is a bit hard to get to at the very rear as the frame is in the way.

Attachments

• IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 20
Been busy with work and some parts came in so I can finish my number 1 project. Here's some pictures of it. For all you northern Americans it's a 1966 HR Holden. Still a bit to go but not far away.

Got a quick 30 minutes in the shed just now to work on the rust bucket. Last week I did a bit of hammer and dolly work to get a bit of the original shape back into the tail which is needless to say a little crusty with rust. Although it's a rat rod which I love, the temptation is there to make it a little nicer with new metal. (After welding and grinding I'll leave it to nature to finish so don't panic anyone!

I quickly shrank a piece of sheet which I bent last week. Would be quicker if I didn't have such a pathetic bender. Have resorted to pretty much doing the whole bend by hand in the vice. I guess it's good for my learning and quite therapeutic. Will hopefully get a chance to cut, weld and hammer and dolly tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3808.jpg
    IMG_3808.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg