Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early Dakota was standard Ford/ Mopar 5 x 4 1/2” bolt pattern wheels, at sometime they changed it to a 6 lug wheel. Just something to look at when you find one. Shouldn’t be to hard to find a rusted out one up there, they even rusted out down here. Oh, and some had the 318 in them, so you could keep it all Mopar.

Early Dakota was standard Ford/ Mopar 5 x 4 1/2” bolt pattern wheels, at sometime they changed it to a 6 lug wheel. Just something to look at when you find one. Shouldn’t be to hard to find a rusted out one up there, they even rusted out down here. Oh, and some had the 318 in them, so you could keep it all Mopar.

There all around here Bama and I've looked hard at a couple of them. Most of the ones I've seen have been the 6 lug with out the 318. And mostly 4WD.
I'm keeping a eye peeled so we will see what turns up.
thanks for the input gang.:)
Torchie

Progress, or.......

Beautiful day here.:D
Started out the morning with home made cinnamon rolls and coffee out on the front porch. No icing on mine.[ddd :p
Pulled all the sheet metal off once again in prep of pulling the body. I think I got it figured how to do it with my overhead bracing the way it is.
Pics tell part of the story on the frame. The rotted out section that I show is were the front cross member meets the side rails. I knew that was there when I bought it.
There are supposed to be 6 body mounting points on each side. getting under there and looking I can see bolts in the rear 2. Some with no bolts and some with bolts and mounting ears that are rotted thru.
I always believed that at one time somebody pulled this body. This may not even be the OG frame for this car. It may be the one from the Gasser the guy I got it from was building.
Some body also did some cobbled up rocker wok on the DS. Notice the difference in the contour between the DS and the PS.
Speaking of frames...
Thanks to Bama and others in regards to the Dakota frame swap. I found that a 1988 Dakota regular cab-Long box has a WB of 124". The Dodge is 123.5"
They also have the 5 lug wheels.
Lo and behold. I found one. Been trying to make contact with the seller for 3 days now. Don't you just love it when people post adds but don't respond.....:rolleyes:
That's it for now.....
Torchie.
p.s. The new shop helper is working out great.:D

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 27
Sounds like a really good start to the morning, weather not so good here woke up to an inch of snow and no cinnamon buns:( I hate it when people want to sell something but won't reply to potential buyers.

Sounds like a really good start to the morning, weather not so good here woke up to an inch of snow and no cinnamon buns:( I hate it when people want to sell something but won't reply to potential buyers.
Stop on by, Dozer. There's still some left.:D
Bummer about the snow... But like your first girl friend, not likely to stick around.[ddd
Yes it was a good morning. Best one in a long time. At least it feels that way.
The problem with the Dakota is that the frame that I need comes only with the long box option. Which it seems is fairly rare.
I'll keep trying.
Torchie.

During the long course of this build I have commented on some of the differences in Mopar vs that other cars of this era.
Her's another one.
The shocks on the front mount to the lower and the pivot for the upper A arm. One of the most common upgrades I have read about is to relocate the upper mount to the frame. Some people use the Ford F-100 upper stands.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 27
During the long course of this build I have commented on some of the differences in Mopar vs that other cars of this era.
Her's another one.
The shocks on the front mount to the lower and the pivot for the upper A arm. One of the most common upgrades I have read about is to relocate the upper mount to the frame. Some people use the Ford F-100 upper stands.
Torchie

You probably already know this, but another common front suspension "upgrade" is to swap out the front "sway bar" for a beefier one out of a (MoPar) Jeep. As I understand, the idea back then was to get a softer ride on the rougher roads (and probably at slower speeds, for the most part). Now most people want a stiffer suspension to get better control (less roll, etc.). (But speaking of speed back in the 50's, from what I've heard, my dad had his 37 Dodge up around 90 - going down a mountain in California, racing a 50 Hudson.)

Thanks for the comment Neto.
I have read and heard of people making that swap.
I will make a final decision on this frame once I have the body pulled off. Hopefully some time this week.
I usually use the OG frames on my builds, but if this one is toast.....
Torchie

Some forward movement..

Getting things ready to lift the Dodge body.
I will remove all 4 wheels to get the frame as low to the ground as I can as I only have about 7" of lift height with the garage door open.
Steering column out as well.
And as you Mopar guys know. The wheel lugs on the DS are lefthand threads. So don't mix your nuts.......
I made contact with the owner of the Dakota and if it's still available a friend that lives in . their town will be checking it out for me. So keep your fingers crossed.
I'm having the same issue as ZZ last week. I can't seem to add any icons.....
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 23
"The wheel lugs on the DS are lefthand threads. So don't mix your nuts......."
Yea, Pontiac's are the same way. Ya can do a lot of work without any appreciative results [ddd

Yea, Pontiac's are the same way. Ya can do a lot of work without any appreciative results [ddd[/QUOTE]

OI...Was that so I didn't put my 2 cents in too? LOL

I cant wait to see this at ride height on frame with wheels and fenders in sunlight... [P

Me to, dutch!
Maybe some day......
As for the rest of you. I knew that nuts comments would bring out the best in you.
Ramblers also had left handed DS lugs as I recall.
Hopefully laying frame (as they say) tomorrow.
Torchie

Thinking about the height issue with the garage door. Assuming the reason you need it open is to be able to run the frame out from under the body. Would it help to just open it say the height of the first section (so you can still get the frame out under the door)? When I pulled the body off of my 46 Plymouth, we had two drive shafts laying in the cradles of three trusses (24" center) front & rear, so the chain hoists could be attached higher, but I reckon that's not the problem, rather just the door itself. Is your shop ceiling less than 8 feet?

Latest posts

Back