Blast Cabinet

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlawracer

I bought a Blast cabinet from Harbor Freight about a month ago. Put it together sealing everything I could so it would not leak. Got cold out and my shop does not have heat but it was up to 40 today and I thought I would try it out. Had an old Eldelbrock Streetmaster intake and worked great cleaning it up. So I go into the house and was bragging about it to my wife and guess what!!! She says hey I got my old cast iron skillets that I would liked to clean up. I thought this is my equiptment for what I want to do. So I DO NOT argue with her and take a small one out and blasted it. Brought it back in to her and now she is excited that I can clean her skillets. I thought "oh well---If she is happy then I am happy".
In the end for the price--$199 I think this is a decent cabinet. I have a 60 gallon 5 hp compressor and it keeps up great. It will come on, build up and shut off while I am using it. Have it regulated to 80 psi and am trying different tips.

I picked up a Clark table top cabinet @ the scrap yard for $4 or $5 no gun, bought the gun $7 but it's way too small.

Had to put new glass in it which I had a piece of brand new plexi but can't see through it after a few seconds. Need to figure out a vent system.

The current blast cabinets from HF are way better than they were a few years ago. I had an older one and it leaked like mad from day one. I caulked up every seam and it still leaked. Finally I tossed it out and did without one for a while until I could save up for one of the really good ones that cost about $ 1200.00.

But one day I was in HF and looked at the current ones and they are a lot better in design and the way things seal. I bought one, hooked up a 1 1/2 hp shop vac through a homemade water filter I made, and it actually works not bad. I would still like to have one of the more expensive ones, but I have become fond of eating. :(:D

Don

DIY blast cabinet

I made a large one out of a 1000 gallon fuel tank, split it in half with the plasma cutter, works great for large pieces like fenders etc. Use a 1hp dust collector and have both a siphon feed and presure feed blaster attached. I will snap some pictures and post them. Still need a good opening system, top half is heavy! Was thinking a garage door spring arrangement or an air cylinder.

diy blast cabinet

here are some pics of my blasting cabinet. I can blast any size part in this cabinet which is nice in the winter when you want to blast fenders etc.

Attachments

• P6030001.jpg
    P6030001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
  • P6030002.jpg
    P6030002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back