improvised shelter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10.butcher

I work outside... shops barely big enough for all my tools.... let alone a project....I want to work through the winter .... curious how y'all improvise for shelter [P

Summer would be no problem, you could just put up one of those portable car ports that have the metal poles. Winters, especially like I imagine you get, are another animal altogether. Heat would be the big issue as well as the weight of snow on the roof.

It will be interesting to see what suggestions some of our Northern members have to offer.

Don

Most times everything I don't NEED goes in the basement, and out comes a propane heater.
Garage walls and ceiling are insulated as well...

funny this thread is coming up, the wife said she wanted to park her car in the garage this winter so the 37 will be going outside for this winter the 30 is going in a friends extra garage both bikes go in the shed and the triumph is going in the back half of the garage. my garage is a hallway 14 ft by 36 ft.

Yup I do all my work in an uninsulated, drafty, non heated barn.

With that being said, I tarp off a section in the barn big enough for me to get my work done in and I use a propane heater to take the chill off. Generally gets warm enough that you can get away with just wearing long sleeves no coat. Thats about it.

I do know a guy that has one of those garage in a box deals set up, leaves it up year round. It even with stood the straight line wind/tornadoes a few months back. He lost a couple trees but that thing stayed standing!!! Not sure what would happen if you tried to heat it though? No ventilation for fumes. Not real tall so might melt above the heater?

shelter

If you have room, look on craigslist, around you and see if anybody is trying to get rid of one of the metal carport's, most of the time they will give them away if you take it down, add some old metal roofing to the sides and 1 end of it, make a door from tarps or more metal and there you go, you can get by pretty cheap if you try.
Here is trick to craigslist if you want to search a bunch of different city's near you go to your favorite search engine and look up ( search tempest ), that will bring up all craigslist, then you pick a mile radius from your zip code, and search for anything you want, and show all the city's in there own little box.

Latest posts

Back