Anyone used 4-bangers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von-zipper

With gas prices so dang high I've been considering slamming a 4-banger in my next build. I'd prefer not to use a computer controlled one but wouldn't totally rule it out. Seen alot of stuff on Ecotechs, Quad4's and Pintos. Anyone?

Zipper

With gas prices so dang high I've been considering slamming a 4-banger in my next build. I'd prefer not to use a computer controlled one but wouldn't totally rule it out. Seen alot of stuff on Ecotechs, Quad4's and Pintos. Anyone?

Zipper

My 49 was Datsun powered. And yes I would do I again, only I would go with a 5 speed next time. At 75 on the highway it sounded like it was about to blow.

Another option is the 2.4L DOHC motor in the 240SX, and also older pickups from nissan.
Was a popular motor to swap out for a japanese 2.0 turbo that was not offered here.

They are damn reliable, and make good power too.

Gas mileage

I have a feeling the gas mileage your looking for is more related to how you drive the car and the technology you put into it. For well under 2k you could run a iron block LS series/ 4L80 trans and get well over 20mpg if you drive it to save gas.

Those newer 4bangers can make killer power but at the expense of gas mileage and still cost big money

Kurt

This one will be dropped in my '27 roadster. Right around 350hp and just recently pulled 30mpg on a trip south. If (big if) I can keep my foot out of it, I'll get 23-25 around town. Granted, it's computer controlled. Not traditional but very easy to build. This thing's gonna scoot in a 1500 lb roadster!

Thunderstangengine.jpg

This one will be dropped in my '27 roadster. Right around 350hp and just recently pulled 30mpg on a trip south. If (big if) I can keep my foot out of it, I'll get 23-25 around town. Granted, it's computer controlled. Not traditional but very easy to build. This thing's gonna scoot in a 1500 lb roadster!

Turbo,
What did that come out of? [S

Toad

My dad has a 22r (toyota 4 banger) in his 40 Chevy rat. The motor had seen better days but it still has zip because the truck is so light. He gets great gas mileage also.

HI everyone

I had to post on this thread just so I could keep track of it...I hate to say it but I have never owned a V8 powered anything...just finished 10 seasons racing roundy rounds in a 4 cylinder Dodge Neon...had a lot of fun...I spent less than $5.00 a night to race it too (for gas that is)...I would love to build a four cylinder rat rod...I have an old cab out in my back door yard that is looking for something to power it...would love to find old iron duke 4 cylinder or maybe an old Pinto motor...maybe a 4 cylinder Cummins would be cool too...

I too would love to see more 4 cylinder rat rods...gas is around $3.80 a gallon in my neck of the woods...not cheap at all..

thanks for bringing it up again.

MikeC

Latest posts

Back