Welding stupidity!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! I was reading your first post and just about choked to death laughing!
I thought I was the only one that had that problem! I wear 1.50 mag. reading glasses with my auto shade helmet.
And yes your right it sucks getting old!
Tim

It beats the alternative
Fred

Like many of you my vision is getting worse as I get older. I have a small halogen light I keep next to my work while I am welding. It really helps as long as it is not to close to you(auto dark is always on and they are hot).
The extra light really makes a difference.

Guys I've been a welder the better part of my grown life. The older you get the harder it is to focus and see. Lack of eye sight is why I got out of the business. In general you need to use a lighter lense indoors like an 8 or 9. When welding outside use a 10-12. The corrective lense is called cheaters and they work well. Be sure you don't have any leaks in your hood also. If you wear glasses all the time just use them under your hood, that way you are focused when you raise the hood. I personally hate the auto darkening lense. I didn't learn to weld with one and the light,dark, light off and on bothers me. A lot of times if I really need to follow a line I take a soap stone which is white and mark where I need to weld. it illuminates somewhat when you strike your arc and it's easy to follow. my .02 TP

you can get mag lenses from well go to google type in syncrowave 200 and the thing in the price list that says welding in all caps then on that site you can find the under welding hoods

I found myself getting way to close to my work because I couldn't see that good. I have a Speedglass helmet and was going through the protective outer clear plastic lenses like crazy. My el cheapo shop lights weren't cutting it. I started putting more light on my work (a small halogen on a tri-pod and lowered my shop lights) and it helped a lot. I also found that backing away from my work a bit made me relax too.

You guys wear helmets?

Next thing your gonna say is ya'll wear gloves too! :D

I use an old helmet, from the 70's. I haven't bought a new one yet, I just haven't had the need. It looks so cool.

I inherited the helmet from my great grandpa who owned a welding business in Saticoy, CA from the 1940's-70's so it has sentimental value.

I don't know the luxury of auto-darken technology yet...

Seeing where to weld

I've been welding for 45+ yrs,and TMP hit it on the head with the soap stone. Wearing the correct lens and wearing your prescriptions or cheaters helps a lot, but by laying down a line of soap stone really helps, especially on the long mig beads, I've had to do a continuous bead for over 12', or when both of the parent metals have been ground for a clean weld. I'm from the old school - - - I just flip my helmet - - can't stand the autos, can't trust them.

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. I started to not be able to weld. I thought, what the heck, then tried wearing my glasses, and Yes, I can weld!!

If you cant see, you cant weld.

I think the name brand modern auto hoods are safe. Dependable, no. When they quit, they quit. My ol' Jackson sets by the ready at all times.
But today I had a series of short welds, covered 6 feet of material, with 2 inch welds, and 2 inch spaces, not all in a row either, and never lifted my hood. Cut the total time in half easy.

I am not from the 'old school' (not yet at least) but I like my old Jackson flip down,keeps ya honest! :D

I had to have an auto after I tried a buddy's. Use my old flip down now when a friend wants to watch me weld. :D

ISore

you can also buy scrip glasses that snap on to saftey glasses so tou don't ruin a good pair if tou don't wear glasses you can high light your weld joint with soapstone and it helps a lot

I have that problem too. I am using a #9 gold lense, that helps a little but also if it is a fine line on a butt weld or something, I draw a chalk line down the weld to help see it. I still use mostly stick because it is easier to see around a welding rod than around a wire feed nozzle.

I have that problem too. I am using a #9 gold lense, that helps a little but also if it is a fine line on a butt weld or something, I draw a chalk line down the weld to help see it. I still use mostly stick because it is easier to see around a welding rod than around a wire feed nozzle.

ahggg WB your just getting too old i do love welding stick its alot more funn but for ease give me a mig welder and just a hint dont look at the big spark ;)ya just got to feel it ya know what i mean

Do transition lenses in regular eyeglasses darken under the hood? I never thought about that before. Gonna have to check next time.

Latest posts

Back