todays metal project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been super busy the last few weeks fixing a model a coupe body, i will post pics of it when its done.

anyways, i had to make some new door skins for some 32 ford sedan doors for Bobby Hilton.
used the English wheel to put all the shape, then switched over to the power hammer to put the half of the belt line in.

here is the door i started with

here is test fitting the over sized skin on the door

before i could wrap the edges i had to make new bottoms for the doors. these were not as much fun or interesting to look at compared to the skins. took about 30 mins to make the new bottom and a while longer to trim and fit them into the doors

tacked in place

all welded in

so with the door frame finished up it was time to finish the skin up. so i marked the door frame on the back of the skin, added .375 around that for the hemmed edge. trimmed everything up, then used a hammer and dolly to turn the flange up. then continued hammer and dolly work to set the hem on the frame. all that was left was to cut the weld seam in the center of the belt line. cut the seam, tig welded it up, ran over it with the hammer and dolly once and sanded down the weld. didnt really do much on metal finishing the weld seam, due to time and bobby wanted to finish them off.

here is the finished product of the first door. like i said no metal finishing was done so they are not 100%

here are both doors finished up and ready to head back to Bobby. like i said before these have not been metal finished out, just welded up, hammered and dollied out a couple times

and here is a short video showing all the things i have going on in the shop at the moment. a few people have wandered why i have not been posting often any more. the video might help explain it lol

Latest posts

Back