What do you heat your garage with?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcamp

Pouring concrete in about 2 weeks then it time to worry about heat. My garage is 14x24 with 7 foot ceilings. I thought about electric, propane, torpedo heaters etc. But so undecided. The garage is added onto my barn so it's not going to be heated all the time. I live in northeast Pa. so it does get cold. What do some of you use and how do you like it?

I just have a space heater works great even in -40 weather. I do have a lot lot insulation in my shop and its a good size too (28x36 with 12 foot ceilings) walls are all 2x6 walls . I tryed using other heaters and nothing work as well its just a good one from princess auto (farm section)

Heat initially with gas furnace/forced air then.....

fire up the waste oil furnce I built from some plans on the internet and it does work.... doesn't like the full synthetic oils though.... otherwise, it works good, very little smoke from chimney and will keep the barn (insulated pretty well) to 68 or 70 degrees in 10 degree weather.....
I have attached the basic plan sketch.... sounds crazy but works great....
I'll try to find the photo of it in the barn....
If you'd like some other info, I can go into detail about it....

Attachments

• rsHeater.jpg
    rsHeater.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 175
  • rsBurner.gif
    rsBurner.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 119
Found the pic with the heater in it...

the black tank with the chimney and the silver (fresh air tube) above it....
Anyone curious can let me know if they'd like more info....

Attachments

• truck with waste oil  heater shown..JPG
    truck with waste oil heater shown..JPG
    69 KB · Views: 157
I heat with wood..........just something about wood heat to me, nothing quite as toasty. My garage is 16X26 with a 9 foot ceiling and it is connected (by a small walk thru door) to my 14X24 wood shop with 8 foot ceiling which is two steps down. My (airtight) wood stove sits in the far corner of the wood shop and has a blower built in it that blows through two pipes that run through the firebox, great heat pick up compared to other stoves I've had. I have a six inch fan mounted in the ceiling above the stove with an insulated duct running through the attic of the shop and dumping into my garage along with a small fan in the upper corner of the door that pulls heat off the shop ceiling and blows into the garage. Everything is well insulated with the exception of the garage floor (yes, I have a wood floor garage) and I can bring the shop to 90-95 degrees with ease and with the fans going I can keep the garage at 75-80 degrees unless it gets below zero.

A Mr Heater garage heater. Runs on Natural gas. Keeps our 1200 ft garage nice and warm.

Be careful with any kind of heater in a garage that sets on the floor! Flammable vapors will lay to the floor and a flame or spark from a heater will cause a major explosion. So don't be washing parts with gas with a wood stove in the shop.

home built wood stove lined with firebrick on the inside.. Since I'm putting a small bathroom in my shop I'm going to add probably a baseboard heater in there..not sure yet..

fire up the waste oil furnce I built from some plans on the internet and it does work.... doesn't like the full synthetic oils though.... otherwise, it works good, very little smoke from chimney and will keep the barn (insulated pretty well) to 68 or 70 degrees in 10 degree weather.....
I have attached the basic plan sketch.... sounds crazy but works great....
I'll try to find the photo of it in the barn....
If you'd like some other info, I can go into detail about it....

I wanted to build one of those but I could never find any quality plans...that's awesome

PNP...works great....

I wanted to build one of those but I could never find any quality plans...that's awesome

I never would have believed it....got an old 40 gal electric hot water heater..followed the plans, had a friend of mine machine the burner out of 1" x 6" aluminum round stock... did it for me for free..the guy that I got the plans from on line now sells them...won't give them up for free anymore....also sells the burners for 50bucks and the control valve for the oil flow for 50 bucks.... if you're interested PM me I'll go more into detail about the thing....it just doesn't like full synthectic oils as they are harder to burn off...but regular oils it burns like nutz....

Hey Sarge, that looks about the same design as the Mother Earth News unit I was looking over the other night. I found it by chance searching for "homebuilt furnace/woodstove".

You are correct.... it's the updated design...

Hey Sarge, that looks about the same design as the Mother Earth News unit I was looking over the other night. I found it by chance searching for "homebuilt furnace/woodstove".

I think the guys name is Roger Sanders and he has done a crap ton of modifications to the original design... I think he's working on a self cleaning burner.... but the basic design works and I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years now.... the older design was a bit strange with frying pans and stuff...this one is extremely simple and easy to light...a little kerosene in the burner...let it get hot and start the oil drip... flame on.....works like a charm...

Latest posts

Back