Home made tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
So I have been looking at getting some new tools/making some new tools. Been thinking a lot about investing in some metal working tools, planishing hammer, bead roller, shrinker stretcher, press break, tubing roller, all kinds of stuff. Well I stumbled on this thread, guys don't shoot/exile me for doing this....... but anyway

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235784

Thought maybe some of you guys might find it informative as well. Have any of you made your own shop tools?

They had some really interesting concepts in there. Probably 45 of the 58 pages were english wheels and bead rollers, but, some of the other stuff was pretty cool!!!

Planishing Hammer

So I decided I was going to repurpose my HF air hammer. So far this is where I am at with that.

2012-01-05_13-45-50_904.jpg

I still need to get my dies for it, and finish welding/make a trigger actuator, but I am thinking I am going to make this happen.

2012-01-27_17-51-58_7.jpg

Did a little more work to my hammer tonight. Got it to the point of testing. Bought a body dollie from ebay and cut it in half. Did a little grinding and polishing on it then welded a nut to the bottom of the two halves to attach it to my jack screw. I have two different anvils with different radiuses. For the hammer I used a piece of 3/8 plate and welded it to a chisel. Held the trigger on and stuck in a piece of scrap. Worked pretty well!! Need to work on my hammer head some and still need to trim the rod and make a trigger actuator but so far I am impressed with it!!
2012-01-27_17-43-02_150.jpg

2012-01-27_17-41-08_421.jpg

Do you think that you'll need gussets at the top

bar to upright area?? Wonder about any flex you might get from that arm being quite long.....other than that....I like it....I have an old HF air hammer I've never used....HUMMM.....[S

The frame is 1x2x1/8 so doubt it will flex. But if it does gussets will be easy to add. I figure it is heavier than most though. I am betting the hf model is 16 gauge so this will be much more betterer

yeah, it looks pretty stout....

The frame is 1x2x1/8 so doubt it will flex. But if it does gussets will be easy to add. I figure it is heavier than most though. I am betting the hf model is 16 gauge so this will be much more betterer

Cool.......keep us advised of how it works....thanks...

actually I made a latch to hold on to the actuator lever there. It works pretty well just never took pictures to put up of it. Will have to pull it back out and set it up so you guys can see.

Youngster posted the plans for this on the HAMB homemade tool thread. Mine was made to be held in the vice.

WP_000070.jpg

I needed a place to hang stuff as I painted it. The edge of the garage door worked slick.

WP_000072.jpg

Latest posts

Back