New Garage/Shop underway

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they gonna put blocking in those wall studs?Nice shop,I want one bad!

blocking is for nailer/backer or fire stop.
you need it when there is a possibility of smoke or flame getting from one floor to the next between the studs.
Like with a "balloon framed" 2 story house

Blocking doesn't add much strength to a wall, it's the sheeting or drywall that maintains the studs layout and stiffens the wall.
Also these walls are not load bearing they are what you would call a partition wall
And since the wall goes all the way to the deck it is called a demising wall.

If you were to rock the inside of one of these rooms and ceiling with 2 layers type X you would have at least 1 hour fire protection

5/8 type X is alot stronger than 1/2 inch house rock and (i think) has a half hour per layer fire rating. Your wall with a layer of 5/8 type x drywall either side is typically a 1 hour wall

If you wanted one of these rooms to be 1 hour fire rated and did not rock the ceiling high but instead installed a suspended ceiling at 8 foot and it was double rocked then this is where you need your blocking so any fire is contained and can't travel upwards past the drywall between the studs into the space above the fire rated ceiling.

They do make suspended ceilings that install just like a dropped acoustical tile cieling but are designed to be dry-walled instead of filled in with ceiling pads

This remodel project I did originally had 12' walls and a false ceiling at 8 foot. it was constructed of wood framing and suspended from the floor joists above by 1x6 braces.
I had to jack up the old ceiling in some places and reinforce it before installing the new drop ceiling at 7'8"...
Yeah... It was tight getting the pads in...especially the light troffers

This wasn't exactly an exercise in good example it was a low budget project using a lot of salvage and recycled materials. It wasn't a situation where you could fix the problems with money or jut rip everything out and go in with everything new and modern

100_1578.jpg100_1579.jpg100_1580.jpg100_1583.jpg100_1584.jpg100_1612.jpg100_1589.jpg100_1618.jpgmid room completed.jpgfront room east view completed.jpg

some good info sir. As you stated these are non load bearing walls and do go all the way to the ceiling (14ft) the only exception is the front office we put in a 7.5ft celing with a storage deck over the top. low ceiling up there but it works (was an after thought). there will be an osb ceiling throughout the entire building with blown in insulation as well

I don;t know if you can find any of what I'm about to tell you about in your area but....

Around here there are some roofing companies selling 2" iso in 4x8 sheets for $6 per sheet.
Not perfect condition they have screw holes but but pretty good shape

occasionally i find on CL or in the B2B ads used OSB in pretty good shape>
Some companies that receive 55 gallon drums in semi trucks end up with Stacks of 4x8 sheets left over from unloading trucks that were only used for keeping stuff from falling over.
This time of year and this economy NEW OSB is prolly as cheap as your ever going to see it.

Can you post a picture of the finished product outside? from the front. I am planning to build a similar shop, just smaller. Thanks,

Ok I gues it has been a bit sence I posted updates :eek: for the most part the outside is done except a little trim and there will be another walk in door to the left of the front overhead
IMG_9090_zps189f009e.jpg

IMG_9091_zpsaf7f8204.jpg

IMG_9092_zps1ab06e12.jpg

The trench is still there because we still have to run the water and septic. We got the blast room and powder area done to the point of starting to work in there and will detail it later. The front office and bathroom will wait untill spring as will the outer shop/garage celing and insulation etc.

Sad part is I just sit here and thing all those "NEW THINGS" I would buy to fill it up, then I'd have to tell the wife, HONEY we need to add on now......LOL ..sweet [cl

Thats very nice. All the new shops Ive seen going up in my neck of the woods use metal studs,I almost forgot what a 2x4 looked like.The only thing I dont like about it ,is it aint in my backyard

Latest posts

Back