Not Title but Secure Form of Payment

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnin Fatties

We've all heard the horror stories and attempted scams when selling vehicles and or parts. What is the best (most secure) way of recieving payment from private individual transactions. Especially when payment can be in the 30 to 40k range?

I would only do it in person at a bank. If you are talking about that much scratch, work out the details that will involve one of you flying or driving to meet up as a condition of teh sale.

30- 40 grand cash in hand would feel awefully nice...:D

No it doesn't. You keep your hand on a trigger everytime someone looks at you.

Funny storry. I was in the office of my shop. Sold a rod. Guy paid IN CASH. $25K sitting on my desk. I'm recounting it after he left, about 10 at night. I had forgot to lock my office door. As I'm in the middle of counting a stack of 100s, a bum opens up the door and asks if I could afford any "spare change".

I told him no, dont have a dime to spare. :D

You can bet I locked the door after that.

I would only do it in person at a bank. If you are talking about that much scratch, work out the details that will involve one of you flying or driving to meet up as a condition of teh sale.

yep that much coin on hand, go to the bank, and let them deposit it and check for counterfeits before I would hand over a car that much

We have made several large sales overseas. Go and talk to some one at your bank. Ours set up a new account, the customer wired the money to that account from his bank. We had already signed the papers to transfer all the money sent from the new account, to our regular account. It also closed that special account after the money was transferred. That way they can't say the money was sent to the wrong account and try to get it back.

Don't take any kind of checks period. I had one guy put a stop payment on a certified check. Claimed the check was stolen. We had to get the feds involved on that and we got our money.

When I've transferred large amounts it seams like its always a pain and expensive but worth the peace of mind. I travelled with a little over 20k on me ONCE. As said before, you become paranoid and I worried constantly.

Latest posts

Back