1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since all the wood from the roof is gone, a new way of attaching the headliner is needed since everything was originally nailed to the wood framing.

A headliner... what's that?!? [S

Had to laugh... been a long time since I put in a headliner! Glad to see you back on the build!

BoB

Looks real good
What did you use for the channels?

I used 1x1 x .065 square steel tubing, sliced in half on the bandsaw. To get the two side ones the same, I rolled the tube to conform to a cardboard template first, then split it. For the two top supports, I bent them to match the roof shape on the outside, then cut to length. Headliner bows just bent over my knee...:cool:

Went to Pick n Pull and liberated a pair of seats from a Mazda MPV. Not too much hideous plastic on them and a nice flat mounting surface, arm rests and they recline fully, I like the low back style seats so you can do without the headrests if wanted. Made some new seat risers from 1/8" plate with a 1/2" front to back taper to get them sitting right.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a nice fit.

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1) How wide is the Packard at the shoulder/ B pillar?
2) How wide are the seats?

Looks like a nice fit.

Two questions, if you don't mind:

1) How wide is the Packard at the shoulder/ B pillar?
2) How wide are the seats?

Good questions, Doc. It is 51" wide at the B pillar but the cabin narrows to about 45" by the centre of the doors where the front of the seats would come up against the door panels. These seats are 21" wide so I have a wee bit of wiggle room, just enough for the armrests to fold down.

Good questions, Doc. It is 51" wide at the B pillar but the cabin narrows to about 45" by the centre of the doors where the front of the seats would come up against the door panels. These seats are 21" wide so I have a wee bit of wiggle room, just enough for the armrests to fold down.

Thanks for the measurements, zz. Sooner or later we'll be seeking donors for the '37 coupe project. Available space is an ongoing concern, as are "ergonomics" for us tall, oversize Sasquatch type beings. :p

To mount the seats I cut 2"x2" pieces of 1/8" plate with 3/8" nuts welded to the underside, bored 1" holes in the floor metal
then welded them to the floor. Makes me laugh to think how in the "Good ol' Days", I just drilled holes in the floor sheet metal of my '55 and bolted my bucket seats right in, just a couple washers and a buddy holding the nuts on underneath while I tightened the bolts from the topside :D:eek:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 91
I love the floor/welded nut idea ZZ, amazing how smart we get with a little age and experience! Thanks for sharing that one. Your seat risers look really nice too, as with all of your work.

Doing some woodwork, deck over the spare
with a hinged piece to access the spare

attachment.php
attachment.php

Made a bulkhead with a shelf under the back window, doors to access the trunk

attachment.php

Hinged lids to give access to storage under the deck, left one give access to the lid in the floor covering the battery box

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2211.JPG
    IMG_2211.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2212.JPG
    IMG_2212.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 57