My Dodge Bros coupe!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Car has a flip out windshield & I spent 1/2 the day getting that ornery thing outta there. Got the doors off & am fixing to start the toppin' choppin' after I brace it up.

BoB

Attachments

• doorsoff.jpg
    doorsoff.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 36
Bracing the coupe up today & struggling with a 4" or 5" chop! [S

BoB

Attachments

• braces.jpg
    braces.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 33
Decided on a 4" chop... didn't want to be constantly bangin' my noggin'! Taped it off & sprayed it... will start choppin' tomorrow.

BoB

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 43
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 40
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 41
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 41
It's off... now I just have to cut the 4" off the body, match them up & stick 'um back together! Luckily the posts are straight up & down!

Good luck Tripper. I'm glad you went with the four inch chop, I think five would have been too much, and you'd end up cursing yourself.

I agree... after I sat in it a few times with a board across when 5" would be I thought I better stick with 4"! I have a station wagon roof panel for the hole in the roof but will drive it around without it before I stitch it on!

BoB

Attachments

• topoff1.jpg
    topoff1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 36
  • topoff2.jpg
    topoff2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
Took the 4" out this morn...still a lot of work to do B4 puttin' it back on but had to set the top back on to see how I like it... love it!!!

BoB

Attachments

• choppedfront.jpg
    choppedfront.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 79
  • chopped2.jpg
    chopped2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
I got the two parts of the top about as close as I could & got the 4 corners tacked down... everything is inline & lookin' good but... I did have a small bummer! In all my years of welding this has never happened... a piece of spatter attached itself to my wedding ring but not before burning a nice hole in my finger. It also heated my ring up & cooked the finger underneath. I CAN NOT tell you how much that hurt!!! So after attending the wound I started working again & promptly cut a big gash on my index finger with a cutoff wheel. Hope I survive this build!!! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 70
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
Glad you're all right. I once welded my wedding ring to a door frame. I quit wearing metal jewelry after that.

Damn Tripper
I got my wedding ring between the wrench and frame while taking the positive cable off the starter.
My wife said take it off and never put it back on, it's too dangerous.

Last edited:
I hate using bulky welding gloves but I may start using them again! The grinder gash is still hurting like the devil & I sure don't need an infection! Ran outta sheilding gas so that will be 1st on my list tomorrow! Feels good to be working on a new build... need to be a lil more careful though! Don't wanna kill all the fun! :D

BoB

Bob if you don't like the heavy gloves, get a pair of Tillman tig gloves.
They're thinner and easy to work in.

tillman-1328-welding-gloves-bb388-lg.jpg

Or even these 20 series with the cowhide backs for a little more protection for accident prone people :rolleyes: [ddd

20XL.gif

Latest posts

Back