Yes we have no grill-nanas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

Hi again all, been busy with car, see below.

My original 53 grill is no more, it crumbled into a pile of rust and bondo. The only thing I saved was the parking lights and the 3 grill teeth.

First, I did the drag link rebuild and tie rod ends. I can now steer with confidence. Then I had the valve seals done with help of a friend. Car is running awesome, (for a 305) no more smoky or oil use.

So the next day I notice one tooth kinda crooked, I touched it and it fell off along with six inches of Bondo. Tried the next one...very loose...The next thing I know I am literally ripping out the middle portion of the grill with my two bare hands.

So pic one below is before. The second pic was after grill removal. That bottom strip to replace that part of the grill that was bondoed to the splash pan?

I go to OldTown in Disney/Kissimmee for the weekly show, an hour ride, and I am getting ready to parade the car down the brick road, and I hear this scraping sound....I get out and find I am dragging that strip that broke off on one side, and I have no idea how long that was going on. So I ripped that off!

The third pic is the car how it looked at Oldtown, minus grill, as they are in panic mode and cars have to "social distance" 6 feet apart. As if. Not much going on so I left after 2 hours.

Now today: Using paint program and pic of car I tried several different ideas (which I posted in past) and I settled on the floating strip of aluminum, made a cover to hide some of the eyesore chassis, and didn't like the bottom piece, so I left it off. Yes...still no bumper...I like as is, so do my yahoo buddies.

Thanks for peeking, accolades and criticisms welcome...NO BUMPER! lol

Attachments

• original.JPG
    original.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 47
  • cust grill 0.jpg
    cust grill 0.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Oldtown.JPG
    Oldtown.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 46
My opinion Laz, is go into 'paint' again and add the bottom strip under that middle piece you made. It would look more finished, in my mind, anyhow. Add picture 2 and picture 4 together.

Last edited:
I tried that MercMac and although it looked good in paint, It looked too stodgy once I did it..almost like a 54 plymouth in my opinion. This car, for some reason, looks different in person than in pics. I get a lot of likes the way it is...in person. I dunno.

Hey, Plymouths got right, too. :D

Did you smack any of the other pieces around that area to see if they were Bondo, too? Just sayin... Anyway, I think pic 4 looks OK for now. You'll likely find something more exciting eventually.

Thanks Skip, I think it looks cool as is, may tinker with making different back up styles, I also may add smaller lights on each side and behind in place of the larger parking lights

Just stick a polished moon style tank in front of the grille and everyone will be calling it a gasser....[ddd[ddd[ddd

I was considering the Moon tank when that lower piece fell off. This car is reminiscent of what they were doing back in high school in the 60's.

Most of them were ratty back then...for lack of funds!

While I liked the toothy look in the first picture, the single bar does look really clean.

I am surprised Old Town has ANY activity during this coronavirus mess. I am already planning for Turkey Run this year to be cancelled and us not being able to go. With the way this virus is now starting to go through the roof, by November we should really be in the thick of things and a lot of stuff will be cancelled.

But, if I have to miss a car show or two to stay alive and to protect my sons and others, I am happy to do it.

While I liked the toothy look in the first picture, the single bar does look really clean.

I am surprised Old Town has ANY activity during this coronavirus mess. I am already planning for Turkey Run this year to be cancelled and us not being able to go. With the way this virus is now starting to go through the roof, by November we should really be in the thick of things and a lot of stuff will be cancelled.

But, if I have to miss a car show or two to stay alive and to protect my sons and others, I am happy to do it.

Well I was actually hoping to make it to Turkey Run this year. Old Town had just reopened when this second thing hit, There was only about 20 cars this time, parked every other space. The only good thing about this time was there was hardly any traffic, surprising for a Saturday night. This was the second time I went, the first was in cooler weather in January before this craziness and it was a blast.

This surge is a result of more testing, and they are finding the many of them are the younger and its just more like a cold/flu to them. I am counting on herd immunity and sunlight.

Tonite, 5-8pm, they are having the Rte 41 Winn Dixie show in Apollo Beach, about a 40 minute ride for me, my friends are going but I am watching for afternoon storms.

Now thats a grill!..lmao...[cl[;)

I have to put one on and see it in "person"...lol

Cool pic...potential...

..now I am thinking the 54 teeth minus parking lights. Since I already have the custom 54 tail lights...what the hey at this point.

I was never a big fan of the stodgy 53-54 Chevs, but nosed and decked give it a difference, especially on the 210s. I never liked the roof line on the BelAirs, with that cut back, doesn't quite fit the lines.

Latest posts

Back