RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I will cut right to the chase. Today I installed the last few pieces and got to fire up the car with the new intake setup on it, and it started and ran GREAT !!! (insert smiley face here)

There were a few glitches along the way today, like the new valve covers did not fit because the flange around them was too wide and it hit my new intake manifold. I called Summit tech line and the guy suggested I put on very thick valve cover gaskets to let it clear, so I headed to the local speed shop and picked up a set of 5/16 inch thick gaskets and they did do the trick.

Then, I had to install a longer throttle cable, and I had ordered a new one from Summit, a Lokar like I had, but longer. I got that installed and was finally able to start the motor. It fired right up and idled at 600 rpms, just like a stocker. I then took it for a spin around the industrial park, and it pulled hard and now the transmission shifts very firmly because the rpms are in the right range when it shifts.

I still have some fine tuning to do, like setting the distributor exactly where it needs to be, and maybe setting the float level better, but as it is right now the thing finally runs like it should have all along. A little over carbureted , but all my cars or overcarbureted. If it stays like it is I will be happy.

Here are some pictures from tonight of the engine with the new valve covers on.

Attachments

• DSC08507.jpg
    DSC08507.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC08508.jpg
    DSC08508.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC08509.jpg
    DSC08509.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC08510.jpg
    DSC08510.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
Thanks to all of you, it was nice to have help to bounce ideas off of during all of this.

Ya know, I feel pretty dumb, this engine could not have been a more simple one, everything brand new, a sbc that is as uncomplicated as they come, and yet I could not find the culprit in this mess.

What it comes down to, it seems, is that the tripower intake was either not seating on the gasket well, or that center carb was leaking air somewhere. I will put all of those parts on the shelf, and after I get some time on the car, and heal financially, and feel like working on it again, I will drag it all out, buy another Speedway conversion kit, buy a new center carb, and go at it again.

Now Dan and I can concentrate on getting the bed finished and painted, and George should have my upholstery done any day now, so I can maybe get this on the road finally. In the meantime, thanks again guys for all the suggestions and well wishes, those helped a lot.

Well, at least one new carb, OI. The end two seem fine, but the center carb has always been suspect, it is a different model for some reason than the other two, although I ordered exactly the same part number for all 3 from Rock Auto. I will also need to order a new Speedway conversion kit for the two end carbs because I stupidly sent all those parts back with my cores.

Even when I had those plates under the two end carbs, and no fuel going to them, and was running on only the center carb, it ran like crap. That is when I shot some carb cleaner around that center carb and it picked up and idled fine.

So, either in the intake to head gasket, or in that center carb I had a major vacuum leak. That is what I will have to work on when I do get back on the tripower setup.

Haha, the haunting of my rpu continues, sort of. Every day I check my bank balance because I have been hacked a few times, and today when I checked it there were TWO charges on there from Pep Boys for the valve cover set I bought and then returned an hour later ! It appears that the clerk there , instead of crediting me for the return, CHARGED ME AGAIN for a set !

I called the manager there, and he was about as bright as a 5 watt bulb, so I drove over , with my two receipts, and he made copies to send to his home office. He said it would be Monday before they could do anything.

Now, I have worked retail, and when something like this would happen the first thing we did was apologize profusely to the customer and promise we would stay on top of it until it was corrected. With this guy, there was no apology, and all he did was hand back my two receipts after making copies of them.

This is why I do the bulk of my business with Summit Racing, they know how to help a customer and how to get these things straightened out. Mistakes happen, but it how they are handled that makes all the difference in the world.

Most of the kids working retail now don't have a clue. If the register doesn't tell them what to do, they are lost. And most management were cashiers two weeks ago....:eek::rolleyes:

Most of the kids working retail now don't have a clue. If the register doesn't tell them what to do, they are lost. And most management were cashiers two weeks ago....:eek::rolleyes:

Yep. And since the virus has hit they are scrambling to get any kind of workers they can get to show up. It is that way from fast food restaurants to places like this.

But Monday I will be on the phone to make sure they get me my $ 160.00 back.

I agree, I have had great luck and service with all three of those auto parts suppliers. I am also amazed how fast stuff comes after you order it. Usually a couple of days and it is at your door.

I have also had good luck with Amazon, but generally on non auto related items.

George, my upholstery guy, called and he is delivering the rest of my interior tonight at 7 pm. Can't wait to see it, and from the nice job he did on the seat, it should be fine. I'm not looking for a show car interior, just something serviceable and sort of old school.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

Latest posts

Back