RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, my upholstery guy, called and he is delivering the rest of my interior tonight at 7 pm. Can't wait to see it, and from the nice job he did on the seat, it should be fine. I'm not looking for a show car interior, just something serviceable and sort of old school.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

[P [P [P [P [P
Torchie

George just called and wants to meet tomorrow instead of today. He is not quite done, and I really do not need the upholstery this second anyway.

So................to be continued !

Even though George was not coming last night, Dan and I went to the shop anyway and worked on a couple of small items just to get them out of the way.

Dan finished up the bottom mounts for the tailgate, so now , even though the tailgate does not really open, it looks like the hinges at the bottom are finished off. He also welded a couple of brackets onto those mounts so that we can bolt the nerf bar directly to the bed.

While he was doing that, I fabbed up a couple of brackets to hold the two tail lights onto the stake pockets. Today I am going to run to Northern Tool and pick up some nutserts to put into the pockets to hold those brackets.

Nothing major, but at least we checked two more items off of our "to do" list.

Well, George cancelled again tonight because he says he is having trouble getting a glue that will stick to the aluminum panels I gave him. He finally found one that seems to work, and he sent me pictures of the two door panels he is done with.

I really am in no rush, I have a lot of other stuff to do and I want him to do it right. But from the picture he sent me, they do look good.

Attachments

• 20201019_182211 (3).jpg
    20201019_182211 (3).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 34
Today George finally came by and dropped off all my interior panels , except for the carpeting (he forgot those). After he left, I got everything installed and I am very happy with the outcome. Certainly not show car quality, but very good driver quality, and I wanted a 1950-60 look and he did that pretty well. I came pretty close on the number of fasteners I needed to put these panels on, I ordered 50 polished stainless allen heads, and I used 48. lol.

Pretty much all that is left is to finish up and paint the bed and then insure and register it. The 750 carb is still way too rich, but I am going to order smaller jets and see if those tame it down a little.

Here are some pictures from tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 23
Outstanding is an understatement! That’s beautiful! [cl[cl[cl Looks like it just drove in off the cover of a 50’s - 60’s magazine! [cl[cl[cl[cl

agreed, that looks killer!!!! but I'm with Dutch, I'd get it dirty just by looking at it!

Don, your ride turned out very cool :cool:
I could never have a white interior, it would look like a Holstein cow the first time I sat in it :(

Thanks for all the nice words, guys. I have to admit that I like it too. Not like one of those high dollar "Gabe" Hollywood upholstery jobs, but it will be serviceable and kinda old school. George did ok. I found out his name is actually Jorge, he left me with some business cards I can pass out to get him some more business.

Now, pretty much all Dan and I have to do is finish up the bed and get it powdercoated and painted, and that is that. I still have to tame down that 750 Holley carb a little by putting smaller jets in it, but that shouldn't be too tough. The car is starting and running ok, but the plugs are pretty black.

Doorbell just rang and it was about the last piece I ordered coming from Summit, a $10 distributor hold down clamp. When you start spending under $100 you must be getting close to the finish line ! LOL

I still have to tame down that 750 Holley carb a little by putting smaller jets in it, but that shouldn't be too tough. The car is starting and running ok, but the plugs are pretty black.

If you don't already know, Don... make your jet changes two sizes at a time until it cleans up. (One size won't make a noticeable difference.)

Thanks guys for the compliments and also for the jet size advice. I am going to start slightly smaller and work down from there.

Last edited:
We didn't get much done today, we just got started and Dan got a phone call to go play a gig tonight, so he had to go. But there is very little left to do, so we should be able to finish the bed up tomorrow. Before he left, I let him drive the car around the industrial park, after all, he deserves it for all the hard work he has put into this thing, and he said it feels pretty good.

What we did get done today was installing some nutserts into the tail light housings and got those positioned on the stake pockets where they fit pretty well. One more item off of our little list.

After Dan left I installed the new distributor clamp and this one fit, unlike the first two I had that did not hold it tight. Then I used my regular timing gun, instead of the new one I have that is run by flashlight batteries, and lo and behold, the timing marks lit up and were in the exact spot they should be at. My timing is very close to where it should be. So it looks like my damper is marked correctly.

Hopefully, on Monday I should have the bed done enough to run the framework and lid framework over to the powdercoater, and while it is in there I can start prepping the sheet metal for the bed for primer and paint. After that we can start making the nerf bar/license plate mount assembly.

Jorge left a message on my phone, says the carpeting is done and he will drop it off at 7 pm Sunday night. That will finish up the interior.

I smell the finish line, I think !

Latest posts

Back