1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys? [S

We shortened the column on purpose, because on the other side of the firewall, we had an issue as bad or worse than this...

attachment.php

So the recess stays, period. I'll decide what to do with the pedal tomorrow.

Attachments

• steering sr.jpg
    steering sr.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 69
I decided to reshape the pedal arm.

Top of stroke...

attachment.php

Bottom of stroke, lying loose on the floor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• pedal b1.JPG
    pedal b1.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 51
  • pedal b3.JPG
    pedal b3.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 51
Looks good Doc.
I personally have a issue with gas and brake pedals being too close together on many cars now.
With my fake leg and my size 13 clod hoppers I have to be careful not to hit them both at the same time.
Back in my British sports car days I got pretty good at the “ heel- toe” thing. Not any more.
Torchie

Got a side shot Dr C? What you did there looks good, but I'm concerned about the box being higher than the pedal. The front part of your foot will hang over the pedal, will you still be able to mash the pedal full travel and not have your foot hit the box?

Just looking out for ya.....:D

Doc....
A while back I mentioned a friend that was building a 37 Chevy coupe but with 36 Olds fenders.
Here are some pics of the almost completed project.
It almost looks stock but he put a lot of work into those fenders to get them to fit.
He also removed the running boards and modded Buick rocker panels as well.
The best part is that he is running a Multi carb hot 6 with dual straight pipes.:cool: :cool: :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 17
Back in my British sports car days I got pretty good at the “ heel- toe” thing. Not any more.
Torchie

Heel-toe indeed, Torchie. [cl ( It can't be done on a '67 Impala, however. Trust me.) Thanks for the coupe pics. That's different and it looks good. I wouldn't know what's going on if you didn't tell me... thanks again!

Got a side shot Dr C? What you did there looks good, but I'm concerned about the box being higher than the pedal. The front part of your foot will hang over the pedal, will you still be able to mash the pedal full travel and not have your foot hit the box?

Just looking out for ya.....:D

No problem, Bama. Questions, criticisms, comments and/or name-calling are all welcome here. :p

Due to the angles at play, there's no issue with the box. (You'd need a two-piece foot and a folding boot to make contact.) If it were a clutch pedal and your boot were something more than a size 16, your toe might be impeded by the column tube, but you'd still never contact the box.

This is the best fuzzy shot I have, pedal on the floor. As always, camera angles and lighting play some tricks and NO, we're not leaving the bolts like that! ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• pedalb mashed b5 .JPG
    pedalb mashed b5 .JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Since B-tard has so little time and I have some, I've been putting in a few days by my lonesome. So I drove out to TRITARD Central yesterday. The streets and highways were clean and dry all the way, but not in the thriving metropolis of Rhetarred Junction. (Not its real name. Population: 209)

attachment.php

Lousy focus fail, but you get the idea. Pure shiny slickery.

We can turn an operating room into a war zone inside of an hour and we have. So first, I did some clean up. I then burned a few hours working to brace the donor brake pedal bracket, which I had previously whittled down to nothing. I don't have any pictures to show for it, but it will tie into the dash and the infamous recessed box.

A new view.

attachment.php

Yes, the rear fender still requires some heavy depeckering and I'll get to that in time. Our focus has been on major repairs and new fabrication, which may or may not explain all the numbers scrawled on the side.

attachment.php

Some of that scrawl includes dimensions for a new fuel tank. We've decided to keep it in the original location, which is flat on the floor behind the seats. Since we'll be fabricating the tank, we're going to maximize the dimensions and swap the filler to the driver side. It'll be made of aluminum and if our calculations are correct, capacity will be 18.4 Imperial gallons or 22 US gallons. (Our footballs are bigger, too.)

Believe it or don't, in all the time we've had the project, I've never sat my ass in the driver's position... well, maybe once on a pile of blocks and a hunk o' plywood. (???) Anyhow, I climbed up into the capsule yesterday, to get a feel for the next item(s) on the list, a console and shifter...

I'd forgotten how bloody small these things are, especially in width. If the chamber had doors on it, I'll bet I could stick my hand out the passenger window. (I'll have to try that next time.) Here I am in the seat, pulled back in a strange position attempting to "zoom out".

attachment.php

It's an odd shot for sure, but you'll notice my fabulous attire and the bulkiest part fast approaching the centerline. (The bulk can be attributed to my 12 layer fireproof shorts. Safety first.)

The seats are now wrapped with protective fabric and they're 4" apart. This likely means we'll have a short console and the limited real estate might present an issue for the shifter. (We'll find out Saturday.) This photo also illustrates the pedal/box relationship better than the others, I hope.

attachment.php

Attachments

• weather oct 21.JPG
    weather oct 21.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 51
  • body143.JPG
    body143.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 55
  • body142.JPG
    body142.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 53
  • dash console1.JPG
    dash console1.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 53
  • dash console2.JPG
    dash console2.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
nice work. [cl

Your pants and the wire wire brush in one shot reminds me of a little collision I had with my angle grinder a few weeks ago. The stripping disc decided to eat my sweater ( which I`m sure was related to you pants) and the grinder hit me hard on the left :p All teeth were still there but it looked like crap. Luckily I did not take any pictures so it didnt happen, right?
Anyway, go figure what would happen if the brush ate your pants ant the drill took a swing at ya.... :rolleyes:

Looks good Dr.[cl :D :cool:
The older the car. The smaller they are. Or is it. The older we are. The bigger we get. Probably all of the above.:eek: [dr
All these car are really small until you get to around 1949.
I had one of my Dad's WWII uniforms. Looked like it was for a pre teen.He was some thing like 5 foot 10 and was considered big. LOL I use to be 6 foot 3 till they started taking chunks out.:eek:
I thought about putting the custom up on a stand like you have. And I may still yet.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

The pedal looks good. I forgot how nice the floors are. [cl

Thanks, Skip!

Anyway, go figure what would happen if the brush ate your pants ant the drill took a swing at ya.... :rolleyes:

If I catch those rags with a grinder, they'll give new meaning to "stripper pants." :eek:

Looks good Dr.[cl :D :cool:
The older the car. The smaller they are. Or is it. The older we are. The bigger we get. Probably all of the above.:eek: [dr
All these car are really small until you get to around 1949.
I had one of my Dad's WWII uniforms. Looked like it was for a pre teen.He was some thing like 5 foot 10 and was considered big. LOL I use to be 6 foot 3 till they started taking chunks out.:eek:
I thought about putting the custom up on a stand like you have. And I may still yet.
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

I'm 6' 2" and still have all my chunks. Now, I'm reminded of the day we flat towed my '38 with the original seat still in place. My chin was on my chest and my knees were in my ears... good thing we didn't have far to go.

The stand is the best thing we've done for ourselves. If it were a permanent deal I'd make it adjustable, because right now, I'd like it to be a foot shorter. :rolleyes:

Pedal looks good in that pic Dr C. Looks like it could have even been a little longer toward the floor. Would have changed the ratio though.

Is the Tritard team gonna jump on your 38 when y'all get finished with the coupe?

Latest posts

Back