Air compressor tank for gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolVanilla

I've got an old air compressor that has finally given up. I'm thinking about using the 20 gallon tank as a fuel tank for the bobber truck I'm building. I think it'd look right at home behind the cab/in the bed. I know I'll probably have to cut off one end just to clean it out but that really isn't a problem...I can weld the end-cap back on. Speedway sells an 11 gal. alum. tank...but that probably isn't going to get me very far as most hot rods I've built don't seem to get that good of mileage.
Anyone done this?

If it has a lot of rust you can use muriatic acid and water to clean it. after cleaning it you need to rinse it well and coat it quickly with a tank liner or an epoxy paint. at the very least spray the inside with wd40 to remove the moisture.

Dump a fist full of old nuts and bolts into the tank. Plug the openings and shake the thing until all the rust is knocked loose. Drain. Rinse. Repeat if needed. No cutting required.

I like that idea.....

Dump a fist full of old nuts and bolts into the tank. Plug the openings and shake the thing until all the rust is knocked loose. Drain. Rinse. Repeat if needed. No cutting required.

No Rust....No Cuts.....No errors......:D

Did that with the tank on my scooter when first flushing it out. EXCEPT......... I also used kerosene in there with the nuts and bolts. Worked really well.

I am using a cheap porta tank for my fuel tank. Buddy had two, cut one end from each, welded together, WALLA

I remember one time I was camping in Yellowstone in the late 70's , now , as then , I was a pack rat and a scrounge , so went out to the camps dump to see what I could find.. and just barley got out of there when I came across a bear...
Oldog
:eek: You and the bear were pretty much doin' the same thing. :D

I remember one time I was camping in Yellowstone in the late 70's , now , as then , I was a pack rat and a scrounge , so went out to the camps dump to see what I could find.. and just barley got out of there when I came across a bear...
Oldog

Sadly the dumps were closed in the late 70's and reclaimed back to natural. The bears have to get their junk off the internet like the rest of us.

who's gonna argue with a guy who can shake an air compressor tank?

Latest posts

Back