radiator for a 1929 Model A

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiess2000

I am having a heck of a time finding the best radiator I can for my 1929 Model A, for the best price.
I am almost too embarrassed to ask this...

How do you feel about this radiator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-ROW-4...ord|Model:Model+A&hash=item1c32f7b55e&vxp=mtr

vs something like this:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Walke...d-Model-A-Radiator-for-Ford-Engine,42361.html

Anyone have any experience with the first one? Obviously I'm trying to save money. Anyone have a different alternative than these two for a '29 grill shell?

El Cheapo wants to know!
Thanks in advance.

I have used a couple of the Champion radiators I ordered from fleabay. I have had no trouble cooling my BBF with the 3 core one. $200 ish if I remember correctly.

You get what you pay for. The Walker USA MADE, will last a lifetime and is repairable if it gets damaged.

The other is cheap (and ugly IMO) offshore junk with a likely glued in core. When it has a problem, it's trashed.

There are places where cutting a corner or two might be ok, but cooling isn't one. Nothing more frustrating than being on the side of the road on a blistering hot day with a boiling over car. Not only that, but the purchase of one is also a investment in an American business that employs American workers - not sending more of our money overseas...

Using an old model A radiator

I agree with t he importance of keeping everything running cool. But I think I might have access to a very good condition Model A rad for my build. It would look cool but will I be loosing the ability to cool my BBE FORD 390 FE?

If you are running an engine that has more than stock horsepower the walker radiator probably won' do the job. The champion radiator is rated for 1000 hp. I have a friend that is running a champion rad. and it is a nice unit. you can e-mail the seller and ask about construction.

If you are running an engine that has more than stock horsepower the walker radiator probably won' do the job. The champion radiator is rated for 1000 hp. I have a friend that is running a champion rad. and it is a nice unit. you can e-mail the seller and ask about construction. I just read the rest of the description and it says it is welded.

I don't think you are familiar with Walker Radiators. They are not a stock reproduction. They can handle just about anything you want to throw at them with ease.

As far as using a stock Model A radiator - no way. They are not intended for a modern pressurized system. No worky...

I'm not familiar with them. What I was looking at was that the walker is a two row core that is single pass, I don't think it will cool as well as the aluminum 3 row 4 pass radiator that is cheaper and welded together.

I believe in getting what you pay for, but I also believe if I can buy three and still be money ahead then I tend to think if it fails i can replace it and rather spend the money for other goodies.

I have 2 champion radiators, one in my 50 chevy with a 68 corvette L79 327. Its fully welded. The truck had some cooling issues with the brass one. I bought this and they all went away. The second one is in my 29 sedan that has a 534 big block ford in it. 180° all day long. It is also fully welded. Its in a 29 grill shell, doesnt fit too bad. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one for my next project.

Do your research and you can get a good deal on a good product.
There are some good aluminum radiators out there for a reasonable price.

Made in USA vs. offshore produced - You guys make the call.

Funny, everyone wants to back American made products until it is time to knuckle down and help support your fellow worker...

I got a cheap one with the built in transmission cooler for $200 bucks and it works great
With the money I saved I also bought tires seats and headlights
So it boils down to what you want to throw money at.
Buy once
Cry once Is true SOMETIMES
But sometimes you are spending money for nothing
But if I ever need another radiator
I will buy the same thing.

The guys are right about getting what you pay for in a radiator. I just replaced the 25 year old radiator in my 27 while I was redoing some things. It was still functional, but had some wear and tear on it. I had it built by the BrassWorks 25 years ago and it cost me $700 back then.

The new radiator came from the same people, and it was just as nice as the old one. Bolted right in and fit perfect. This time it cost me $1000, but my engine is now running at 170 in traffic in Florida. So, if you break it down, this one should last another 25 years which amounts to only $40 a year. :)

Don

Yes we need to support out own country, but when you only have a limited budget to work on some times you have to save where you can.

The guys are right about getting what you pay for in a radiator. I just replaced the 25 year old radiator in my 27 while I was redoing some things. It was still functional, but had some wear and tear on it. I had it built by the BrassWorks 25 years ago and it cost me $700 back then.

The new radiator came from the same people, and it was just as nice as the old one. Bolted right in and fit perfect. This time it cost me $1000, but my engine is now running at 170 in traffic in Florida. So, if you break it down, this one should last another 25 years which amounts to only $40 a year. :)

Don
that rad would have been by far the most expensive part in my build
considering there was only 3 grand of parts and materials including electricity and welding rods in it at the time i was able to legally drive it

Believe me, I was NOT looking forward to spending a grand on a radiator, but I took my old one to a local shop to have it recored and they wanted $775 to do it because the core is a special 3 1/2 inch thick core. I decided that for the small difference, I would go and have a new one built.

Here is my old radiator:

Don

Latest posts

Back