Stolen from Power Tour

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably used repo style tow trucks. Back up with stinger down, lift wheels off the ground, haul ass. Gone in less than 60 seconds.

All the ones they didn't take but broke into had the locks punched out of the doors and steering column damage, which is the common method of theft for the 70's-80's GM's, so who knows. There was a C3 corvette I saw photos of that had the locks punched out of the doors, they made a mess of the fiberglass doors on that.

Apparently the Malibu was spotted being driven south on the freeway before most people knew it was stolen.

I hate thieves.

A I recall, and I could be wrong, Donsrods and his twin sons hire a guard to sit up all night with their hot rods when they attend the Turkey run in Daytona Beach.
It's a sad commentary on our society.

I really don't think Hot Rod should be on the hook to provide security for 4000+ vehicles spread across a very large area at numerous hotels (or even a single location), the logistics of that are essentially unmanageable. The hotels should be able to ensure their guests a certain amount of peace of mind, though.

Hot Rod could put some effort into their own event. They know how many cars to expect on any leg of the tour. They could work with the hotels and recommend those hotels to all participants. Just saying, if Hot Rod would collaborate with a number of "partner" hotels, they could easily provide the peace of mind you speak of. Manned security is cheap if you have 500 paying customers on the same lot... but if neither the hotel nor Hot Rod gives a rat's ass, "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

There's a really cool and secure steel shroud I see that was produced 10-12 years ago that prevents the type of theft you're referring to doc, but they don't seem to make it anymore.

I remember that device and I haven't seen it for some time, either. We (as a family) still own a couple GM's of the era... we've relied on a steering lock or the "The Club" which seems to be enough to deter potential thieves...

Don't pull the knob marked with a "C"....it is not a choke...."C"stands for "Claymore"

I like the way you think. For many years I had a sign on my shop door that reads, "THIS BUILDING IS PROTECTED BY A SECURITY SYSTEM DESIGNED TO DISABLE AN INTRUDER."

If nothing less, the message should make you think twice about your next move...

Hot Rod could put some effort into their own event. They know how many cars to expect on any leg of the tour. They could work with the hotels and recommend those hotels to all participants. Just saying, if Hot Rod would collaborate with a number of "partner" hotels, they could easily provide the peace of mind you speak of. Manned security is cheap if you have 500 paying customers on the same lot... but if neither the hotel nor Hot Rod gives a rat's ass, "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't see that happening ever. I don't think Hot rod doesn't care, it's just really hard to organize. The cars were at nice hotels, but if the hotel chooses not to work with Hot Rod on bringing in security, they're likely to be full anyways. They're not thinking of the fact that the tour is unlikely to come back if something of that scale happens. So what's the incentive then for the hotel to care about security?

Especially when tonight I've seen on Instagram there are people doing giant burnouts in hotels in Bristol and this is going on for hours, why would the hotel want to do anything to protect those guys when they're not showing any respect to the hotel property?

The tour does have a travel agency that can help with hotel bookings, but really keeping track of where 4000+ cars are staying on any given night is impossible. I suppose they could work with local law enforcement to try to increase patrol in high-risk areas, or find the high-risk areas. I don't know, I don't see security at private hotels outside of tour events to be the responsibility of Hot Rod. If it went that way, that could be cost prohibitive to continue power tour.

I like the way you think. For many years I had a sign on my shop door that reads, "THIS BUILDING IS PROTECTED BY A SECURITY SYSTEM DESIGNED TO DISABLE AN INTRUDER."

If nothing less, the message should make you think twice about your next move...

My favorite:

"ANYONE FOUND HERE AT NIGHT WILL BE FOUND HERE IN THE MORNING"

If one really wants a car, it will be gone.

As for the damage... Leave doors unlocked, key in ignition, big a$$ trainhorn under rear seat connected to start position on switch.

You will most likely find a deaf heart attack victim in or near the car , many will actually hear the sound, and the locks & column will be in good shape... and with a dash cam pointed towards the driverseat you might have a youtube hit.

man, I hate thieves :mad:

They probably used repo style tow trucks. Back up with stinger down, lift wheels off the ground, haul ass. Gone in less than 60 seconds.

You can buy these repo trucks cheap with high miles. Saw one this week with the car being towed off the ground. A micro wheel cart supporting the rear of the repo vehicle.

You can buy these repo trucks cheap with high miles. Saw one this week with the car being towed off the ground. A micro wheel cart supporting the rear of the repo vehicle.

Exactly. We had a mini van repoed several years ago, they took it out of my carport at night with my wife sleeping in the house, she and her folks right across the road never heard or saw a thing. They can back up to one, lift the wheels and take off without ever getting out of the seat.

The ones with the locks punched were probably amateurs, meth heads most likely. They were looking for quick stuff to get and sell. The others were probably a group, with a place to hide and strip them quick or put in a container and ship overseas. I’d bet some of them are in Charleston SC or Savannah GA waiting to be put on a ship right now.

It's a darn shame that it has to blemish the Power Tour.... shed's a bad light on the whole thing.... it's certainly true that you SHOULDN'T have to take extra ordinary steps to secure your vehicle and make it as theft proof as you can, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't take those steps. Every year you hear about vehicles being stolen. At our Woodard Cruise, vehicles are stolen..even whole trailers are stolen... There is always risk to having your pride and joy out and about... Make it nearly impossible to steal short of hauling it away... you have to at least make an effort. Not chastising the owners just wondering why they didn't make that effort...
Also, if I might add... I wonder how many people in those motel rooms may have noticed something unusual and yet did nothing to notify the police? Happens all the time. People post crap on facebook, twitter and other social media about what they saw, heard or thought they heard...people wonder why the police did nothing.... we did nothing because we didn't find out about those vehicles being stolen until it was reported... hours after they were taken... If you see something report it... you are not inconveniencing us or taking up our time... that's our job to investigate suspicious persons, vehicles and or noises.... call the police if you suspect something is amiss...Ok.. Rant over... :D

It's a darn shame that it has to blemish the Power Tour.... shed's a bad light on the whole thing.... it's certainly true that you SHOULDN'T have to take extra ordinary steps to secure your vehicle and make it as theft proof as you can, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't take those steps. Every year you hear about vehicles being stolen. At our Woodard Cruise, vehicles are stolen..even whole trailers are stolen... There is always risk to having your pride and joy out and about... Make it nearly impossible to steal short of hauling it away... you have to at least make an effort. Not chastising the owners just wondering why they didn't make that effort...
Also, if I might add... I wonder how many people in those motel rooms may have noticed something unusual and yet did nothing to notify the police? Happens all the time. People post crap on facebook, twitter and other social media about what they saw, heard or thought they heard...people wonder why the police did nothing.... we did nothing because we didn't find out about those vehicles being stolen until it was reported... hours after they were taken... If you see something report it... you are not inconveniencing us or taking up our time... that's our job to investigate suspicious persons, vehicles and or noises.... call the police if you suspect something is amiss...Ok.. Rant over... :D

What I found silly was that there was a big contradiction in the attitude towards cops during the entire week. There were people very vocal about the expectation that the cops should be doing everything they can to increase patrol during these events and drop everything and investigate the thefts (many loud voices voiced opinions that not enough was being done by the cops). Then on the flip side, every time a car was pulled over or the cops broke up an impromptu illegal street burnout contest they were heckled, booed, and generally harassed. I don't quite understand how people don't seem to realize you can't have it both ways. You want cops to turn a blind eye to Power Tour, but be Johnny-on-the-spot when there's a problem, a little respect goes a long way.

What I found silly was that there was a big contradiction in the attitude towards cops during the entire week. There were people very vocal about the expectation that the cops should be doing everything they can to increase patrol during these events and drop everything and investigate the thefts (many loud voices voiced opinions that not enough was being done by the cops). Then on the flip side, every time a car was pulled over or the cops broke up an impromptu illegal street burnout contest they were heckled, booed, and generally harassed. I don't quite understand how people don't seem to realize you can't have it both ways. You want cops to turn a blind eye to Power Tour, but be Johnny-on-the-spot when there's a problem, a little respect goes a long way.

welcome to modern america. i see this every day, as a master mason i rub shoulders with law officers all the time. some of the stories they tell are unreal.

Latest posts

Back