28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay after Dozer!! That's going to be such a Kool ride.
Don't forget to enjoy the process, it's supposed to be fun.
IT'S LOOKING GREAT!!!!

Thanks Pops Yup putting deadlines on it adds a little stress. I did get it running yesterday but the brakes went away with vacuum to the booster. [S

Nice to see it moving under its own power, Glen.
Hard to believe a 600 cfm carb is jetted too rich for your engine. Could be needle and seat leakage, float too high or not enough to vacuum to hold the metering rods down.
You'll figure it out.

Nice to see it moving under its own power, Glen.
Hard to believe a 600 cfm carb is jetted too rich for your engine. Could be needle and seat leakage, float too high or not enough to vacuum to hold the metering rods down.
You'll figure it out.

good luck trouble shooting Glen. But the first drive is in the pocket [cl
Gotta love the sound of those big big Mopars :cool:

Thanks Bob and Dutch, it might have even been the choke stuck, first time I ran it with the air cleaner on. I will take a look at it this weekend , time for a break.

Over the years, I've seen lots of guys, not see the 98% win and focus on the 2% loss and let that ruin everything. Now I have to teach two guys, 'you and me' to count the 98% as a win. Congratulations!!!
I can't remember whether you put a wilder cam in there or not, but what if your vacuum is low, too low to hold your metering rods to the lean end or if Edelbroc carbs have a power valve, low vacuum may be letting it open a way too much.

That thing would look good even if you had to push it back.

I've used edelbrock carbs on every thing I've built including the 440 in my dually rat. I would almost bet my last dollar that you've got too much fuel pressure feeding your carb. Cut the pressure down to 6 or 7 psi and you will probably be doing donuts and smiling after the storm. I'm running 5 1/2 on the 5.9 Magnum in my brides Willys.

Don't weaken brother, you're getting close on a killer ride.

Over the years, I've seen lots of guys, not see the 98% win and focus on the 2% loss and let that ruin everything. Now I have to teach two guys, 'you and me' to count the 98% as a win. Congratulations!!!
I can't remember whether you put a wilder cam in there or not, but what if your vacuum is low, too low to hold your metering rods to the lean end or if Edelbroc carbs have a power valve, low vacuum may be letting it open a way too much.

Thanks MM, I'm counting this as a win, I had the best sleep in months that night. :D:D really mild cam, but there are some self inflicted problems that may be causing issues: 1. I'm using the stock 1968 Newyorker coil without a ballast resistor with a GM HEI ignition module. 2. the GM module is not in the distributor or on a heat sink and is of unknown origin :eek:3. I know the fuel pressure is under 7psi, because that is all the pump is rated for, but that may still be too much,

[cl :D :cool: :cool:
You will hash it out.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks Torchie, yes I have the rest of the long cold winter to do that.

That thing would look good even if you had to push it back.

I've used edelbrock carbs on every thing I've built including the 440 in my dually rat. I would almost bet my last dollar that you've got too much fuel pressure feeding your carb. Cut the pressure down to 6 or 7 psi and you will probably be doing donuts and smiling after the storm. I'm running 5 1/2 on the 5.9 Magnum in my brides Willys.

Don't weaken brother, you're getting close on a killer ride.

Thanks POPS, Yes as mentioned above I will address the fuel pressure first.

Latest posts

Back