28 Fast Four build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine just had to replace a couple of the roller lifters in his Dodge pickup hemi. He bought a set of Hellcat lifters and pushrods to replace the stockers. He caught his early, told me there are several forums he’s on where other guys weren’t as lucky and it cost them an engine. The bearings come out of the rollers and screw everything up. He said if it starts ticking, the rollers are probably going bad. Just something to look out for, I have no experience with those engines.

Yes I have been researching that problem, I plan on taking this engine a part for a look see.

I like the idea of the swap to more modern power. Like ZZ said. If you stayed traditional we would still be running flat head 4 bangers. [P[P[P

[cl[cl

I still think your car is the coolest, Dozer. There is a soft spot in my heart for big block Chryslers, but Hemis are OK too.
Keep on tinkering.

Thanks MM, I really like the the 440 as well. It may sit in the corner of the shop for another project. :cool:

Some of us are....:D
:cool::cool:

Holy Chit, I feel like I'm letting you guys down, I haven't updated this thread since May. :eek:. I have been watching the site every day just not participating much. Been real busy, the Dodge has 3700 km on the odometer. Been to two shows and all I need for an excuse to take it for a drive is someone might need milk.
I kinda feel like late onset A.D.D has found me, I have so many projects started and nothing is getting finished. The fellow that sold me the two 28 Dodges to build mine asked me to build some replacement parts for a very rare 1936-39 Line Bro. Vauxhall pedal car that he found in a rock pile in a field. It has 1 front fender, 1 running board no back fenders, or dash and the trunk is missing. So there is no lack of work there, I have the two running boards done still have the rear fenders, and front fenders to make. Been working on straighting out the body which was anything but.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And I have been working on the Gen III swap, I have all the wiring pulled out of the 300 and everything removed from the harness I don't need. EGR, EVAP, MDS, Rear 02's. Computer is sent off for reprograming. There are only 7 wires to hook up to ground, constant hot and switched hot to complete the system. Pretty easy once you get your head wrapped around it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This the part that blows me away. I have a 2005 Hemi a 1994 RH46 4 speed auto, and a 1978 starter and they all bolt together and work together. The only piece required is a $160.00 Hays flywheel adapter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a Bosch external fuel pump and 99-04 Corvette filter/regulator on the way. Once my computer comes back, I can finish wiring and plumb the fuel system to do a test fire on the floor.

And if your interested here some videos of the two car shows as well as some progress vids.

https://youtu.be/HBYEd_vJj68

https://youtu.be/oG-EEg4VZFQ

https://youtu.be/uReZtN4GU3E

https://youtu.be/16lkkpUAHGg

Attachments

• Resize of Gen III 006.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 006.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Resize of Gen III 007.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 007.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Resize of Gen III 008.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 008.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Resize of Gen III 009.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 009.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Resize of Gen III 001.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Resize of Gen III 002.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 002.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Resize of Gen III 003.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 003.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Resize of Gen III 004.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 004.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Resize of Gen III 005.jpg
    Resize of Gen III 005.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 69
Love the pedal car, gotta keep your metal working skills sharp, that one should do it [P[cl
Nice to see there is some interchangeability of Mopar parts there, like they knew someone would want to do this. Some engineer was looking out for us hot rodders when they designed the Gen III.

It`s not that bad... I update my threads once a year and then still nothing much happened :p

cool little [project ,that pedal car [cl
it is

Pedal car....440...hmmm![ddd:D

[cl[cl

Good luck with the late model Hemi. It'll be a smooth runner.

Thanks Bob

Love the pedal car, gotta keep your metal working skills sharp, that one should do it [P[cl
Nice to see there is some interchangeability of Mopar parts there, like they knew someone would want to do this. Some engineer was looking out for us hot rodders when they designed the Gen III.

It will so, yes it really blows me away that they never changed the bolt pattern on the bell housing.

Love the pedal car and what you've done to it so far, I wish someone
with the knowledge would post a link or share a step by step as to
how to wire the big three computer control engines and trans....
and what to do to the computers [S[S[S have a hard time wrapping my head around it.....

giphy.gif

Love the pedal car and what you've done to it so far, I wish someone
with the knowledge would post a link or share a step by step as to
how to wire the big three computer control engines and trans....
and what to do to the computers [S[S[S have a hard time wrapping my head around it.....

You can find all the info for LS swaps on the internet, they were the first and the simplest to do. To do computers for both Dodge and GM you need something like HP Tuners to turn off the securety and delete the systems you don't need, or send it out to have it done. Shops like HotWire Auto sell complete harnesess with reprogrammed computer but $2700. is a little much.

Sure like the pedal car Dozer 😊

Me Too, good to see back on the site Bman

Well here I go again, been almost 7 weeks since I updated this post. Sorry to say I still have no news on Doc Crankenstien.
Has been a real busy summer. Four car shows attended great weather although brutally hot for this old fat guy, as of yesterday the Canadian Government started paying me for being old. :D The furthest car show was an 1100 km round trip and went great I even got a trophy for placing in the top ten in a field of 110 cars.
The Dodge has 5250 km on it since April and other that a couple of small leaks has run flawlessly.
The Hemi swap is progressing, I have the wiring all dialed in and my ECM back from the programmer. Once you have all the un-needed wires unpinned from the wiring harness there are only 7 wires to hook up 3 keyed pos, 2 constant pos and two grounds and the turning the key will have the engine running, I can call it simple now that it's done :rolleyes: Here's a photo of the mess waiting to be cleaned up into a proper harness.

attachment.php

Here are a couple videos of the hemi.
https://youtu.be/iwOGwtBNRBI

https://youtu.be/YwNwKy3nD-I

I'm still working on the pedal, two fenders are done two to go, I will update that progress soon.
I have also been working on another kinda arstsy project with the intent being to make these to sell after retiring. My first attempt at bead rolling a picture. I used some 3/4"led lights for the headlights and marker lights, and a clock work off Amazon for the clock.

attachment.php

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168138&d=1630245127

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Witches house 016.jpg
    Resize of Witches house 016.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Resize of Witches house 017.jpg
    Resize of Witches house 017.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Resize of Witches house 018.jpg
    Resize of Witches house 018.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Witches house 019.jpg
    Witches house 019.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for the update. You are not letting wheat grow under your feet, are ya? Congrats on the award and on the Gov. checks coming in.
Good luck with the retirement endeavor. Looks like a winner.
I'm with you on the engine change, even though I'm not with you on the engine change. Hot rods can be in a constant state of change.

What happened with the 5 speed you wanted to use out of the 300? Why the switch to the 4 speed?

I have to say I don't quite follow the "parts are hard to get" argument for the 440. If you carry a fuel pump and maybe an alternator and/or starter, what else could you possibly need on a long road trip that would be hard to get? I've never owned a Chrysler product, so I am genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back