Is this the Future of Drag Racing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Daddy Don Gartlis is currently working on a total electric dragster. It's not quite as fast as a Top Fuel car.....yet.

Big Daddy Don Garlits is currently working on a total electric dragster. It's not quite as fast as a Top Fuel car.....yet.

No disrespect intended, Bama, just speaking my mind since you brought it up...

Garlits is a living legend and his accomplishments are second to none. He's one of my drag racing heroes and I have nothing but respect for him... however, the electric dragster is a long, long, long way from Top Fuel performance. The electric has run a best ET of 7.23 and top speed of 189 MPH in the traditional 1/4 mile. Top Fuel dragsters, on the other hand, are running ET's in the 3.60's and nearly 340 MPH in 1000'. The difference between the two is astronomical in terms of horsepower, torque and acceleration.

That said, I understand Garlits' goal is to break 200 MPH in the electric car. I hope he gets that record to go with his many others!

A big part of drag racing is the sound.

Absolutely! The sounds and smells are intoxicating!

Bob: When electric cars replace all the classes we know and love, drag racing is dead...

That's why I said yet. :cool: It may never reach TF speeds, then again, as it improves, it just might one of these days. Better motors and batteries being developed all the time.

I'm like the rest of you, the sounds are as much a part of racing as the visuals are. Somehow, I just don't ever see anybody recording and releasing an album of electric cars drag racing! :eek::eek::eek:

Buzzzzz Buzzzzzzz Buzzzzzz![ddd[ddd[ddd

don't over look nas-trash-car are looking into electric too. sorry don't like nascar.

They are going some kind of hybrid, the electric part is some kind of power booster for passing from what I read. They can only use it so many times in a race.

Formula1 already has a system in place. Brake regenerative boost I think?

That's why I said yet. :cool: It may never reach TF speeds, then again, as it improves, it just might one of these days. Better motors and batteries being developed all the time.

I didn't mean to challenge or offend you, Bama. (My wife will testify, communication is my weakest suit. :() In my own clumsy way, I agree, technology is growing exponentially and "they" might catch us sooner than we expect!

Back to drag racing... I hope I die before electric cars replace the flame-belching, ground-shaking killer hot rods we know and love. Nothing less will suffice, period.

Doubt I'll live to see that day & just as well... love standing on the starting line & experiencing the big beasts take off... nothing like it!!! It'll take a LOT of batteries to make the power a Top Fuel dragster makes! :eek:

BoB

I didn't mean to challenge or offend you, Bama. (My wife will testify, communication is my weakest suit. :() In my own clumsy way, I agree, technology is growing exponentially and "they" might catch us sooner than we expect!

No offense taken Dr C. All opinions are welcomed!

I’m with Tripper, I doubt many of us will live long enough to see electric vehicles take over. Without getting too political, I feel for you younger guys with what I see in some of these up and coming “ leaders” ,and I use that term loosely, they want to do away with all the fun things we have and have us live in a cubicle surrounded by foam eating seaweed, yuk!:eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts

Back