Buick ST trans converted to SP trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2T

Still running with scissors!
the smallest town in the smallest county in the s
Has anyone ever converted a Buick Nailhead ST trans to a SP tranny? I have a tranny guy that says he can do it........but I have read that it can't be done, I really don't want to pull the trans apart to find out. This trans is pretty much a TH400 that bolts to a Nailhead................I have been to the Buick sites but no one seems to know for sure.

info

What does SP refer to? I understand that ST = Super Turbine and that the ST 300 and ST 400 had switch pitch converters. If SP means "Switch Pitch" than are you asking if a non-switch pitch can be converted to switch pitch?

In my recent searches, I did find out that the nailhead-specific 400 was available all the way through 1973 in Jeeps and possibly other vehicles (not bolted to nailhead engines) because its bellhousing length allowed room for adapter plates to use with other engines (like AMC ones). Most likely those transmissions were not switch pitch.

I also read somewhere else that as long as the non-switch pitch 400 case takes the early 8-bolt pump, that the passages are there, but one hole has to be drilled to use a switch pitch pump and input shaft. I would guess that all nailhead cases are the early 8-bolt type, since the later 6-bolt type came out post-1973.

IMHO it is not worth the expense to buy the parts to put a switch pitch setup in - torque converter technology has progressed to the point where stall converters that "lock up" with minimal slip are available, rendering the switch pitch obsolete. The cost of such a converter alone would be less than the cost of the switch pitch converter, not even counting the pump and input shaft! Keep in mind that there may be core charges on switch pitch parts.

Either way, good luck.

440shorty

Shortster................Thanks for that info. The reason I am asking is I have all the parts needed to convert the trans to 'switch pitch' , I'm just not sure it can be done. The info you gave me is pretty much the same as my "tranny guy" friend said. He will be taking the trans apart any way so why not convert it?......................Looks like I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back